Christopher S. Reid
Room 216, RNR Building
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
phone: (225) 578-0783
- 2016: Doctor of Philosophy: Plant Biology, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
- 2000: Master of Science: Biology, University of Louisiana at Monroe
- 1997: Bachelor of Science in Forestry: Forest Managment, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
- RNR 2001 – Trees and Woody Plants of the Southeastern United States
- HORT/RNR 2900 – Horticultural Botany
- BIOL/RNR 4020 – Taxonomy and Ecology of Wetland Plants
- RNR 4060 – Upland Plants
As a botanist, my main role is teaching plant identification courses to build botanical skills and to expand ecological awareness in RNR students. Taxonomically, I am a generalist with broad knowledge of the flora and vegetation of the southeastern coastal plain.
I am particularly interested in grasses and sedges, and native grasslands. My recent efforts have focused on conservation of Louisiana’s coastal prairie. This work has included research of the flora and vegetation of prairie remnants and application of stewardship actions such as prescribed burning and chemical and mechanical control of encroaching brush.
- Reid, C.S., V.P. Doyle, J.R. Carter, Y. Vargas-Rodriguez, and L.E. Urbatsch. 2017. Molecular systematics of targeted flat sedges (Cyperus, Cyperaceae) of the Americas. Plant Ecology and Evolution 150: 343-357.
- Allain, L.K., C.P. Conzelmann, and C.S. Reid. 2017. Guide to the plants of Louisiana: U.S. Geological Survey web application, available at https://warcapps.usgs.gov/PlantID.
- Holcomb, S.H., A.A. Bass, C.S. Reid, N.F. Lorenz, B.B. Gregory, S.M. Javed, and K.F. Balkum. 2015. Louisiana wildlife action plan. Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Baton Rouge.
- Reid, C.S. and M.J. Lewis. 2014. Noteworthy vascular plant collections from the Red River of Arkansas and Louisiana, U.S.A. Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 8(1): 197-201.
- Reid, C.S., R. Carter, and L. Urbatsch. 2014. Phylogenetic insight into New World Cyperus (Cyperaceae) using nuclear ITS sequences. Brittonia 66(3): 292-305.
- Reid, C.S., P.L. Faulkner, M.H. MacRoberts, B.R. MacRoberts, and M. Bordelon. 2010. Vascular flora and edaphic characteristics of saline prairies in Louisiana. Journal of the Botanical Research. Institute of Texas 4(1): 357-379.
- MacRoberts, B.R., M.H. MacRoberts, C.S. Reid, and P.L. Faulkner. 2009. Additions and emendations to the vascular flora of Caddo Parish. Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 3(1): 379-382.
- Urbatsch, L.E. and C.S. Reid. 2009. Interactive key to Xyris (Xyridaceae) of North America north of Mexico. Available at http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/keys/xyris/xyris.html.
- Rosen, D.J., C.S. Reid, M.S. Gonzalez-Elizondo, and R. Kral. 2008. Rediscovery of Fuirena repens (Cyperaceae), a rare endemic of the Mexican High Plateau. Acta Botanica Mexicana 85: 39-43.
- Reid, C.S., P.L. Faulkner, B.R. MacRoberts, and M.H. MacRoberts. 2008. Noteworthy vascular plant collections from northwest Louisiana. Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 2(1): 643-647.