First-year students are guaranteed housing and required to live on campus so every student can benefit from the advantages of the on-campus experience. Students who live on campus consistently have higher GPAs, are more likely to return to LSU for their second year (retention rate), have higher graduation rates, and have more opportunities to become part of the LSU community.
1.Submit Housing Contract or Request Housing Exemption
- Upon submitting your enrollment deposit fee, you can view your myLSU username in your Admission Portal
- Students committed to LSU can access the housing portal in myLSU starting on January 4, 2019, at 10 a.m. to complete one of two actions:
- Submit a housing contract with $75 non-refundable contract fee, or
- Request a housing exemption
- Review the full details of the academic-year contract and contract cancellation penalties.
2. Indicate Preferred Housing Type
- When you submit your contract, you can indicate if you prefer to live in a traditional res hall or in an academic community in a residential college.
- You will not actually select your res hall or room at this point, only indicate your preferred type of housing.
3. Search for and Accept Roommate Requests
- Beginning March 1, 2019, you can opt to use the Roommate Finder service in the housing portal to see students who may be good matches to you based on a short survey about likes, preferences, lifestyles, etc. Residential Life does not use this information to match you with roommates.
- Only the people listed in your “Accepted Roommates” list in the housing portal will
show as potential roommates during room selection. Make sure you search for and accept
your preferred roommate’s request so you can select a room together.
- For example, if you are accepted into the Engineering Res College, you will only see roommates who are also in the Engineering Res College.
- If you request to change your housing preference, the potential roommates you see may change.
- Residential college or Honors House residents can only request roommates who are also be participating in the SAME residential college or the Honors House.
- All roommate requests must be mutual to be honored. While we do our best to accommodate preferences, not all requests can be honored.
4. Choose Your Room
- In late April or early May, you will receive a Room Selection Time Slot (a day and time) to log in to the online housing portal and select your actual room and building.
Students who do not select their hall/room during this time will have their assignments made by the Res Life staff.
If you need to change your housing assignment after selecting a room, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
5. Check Your Status and Wait Lists
- On the dashboard of your housing portal in myLSU, you can view the most up to date information about your room, roommate, room selection time slot and wait lists.
- If you don't get into your top choices of building, you can add and remove yourself from a building's wait list. We will contact you if a space opens up in your preferred building/program. Check your email regularly. The Res Life Assignments staff will not move you to an available space unless we receive written communication verifying the move within 48 hours.
6. If Necessary, Cancel Housing Contract
- To cancel your on-campus housing contract, review the cancellation schedule and complete the request form.
- Any penalty associated with cancellation will go by the date and time this cancellation form is submitted and will be administered through your university student account:
- Cancel your housing contract June 16 - 30: $250 Cancellation Fee
- Cancel your housing contract in July: $400 Cancellation Fee
- Cancellations received August 1 or later, including “No Shows,” are subject to rent penalties for both the fall and spring semesters (25-100% of room rent) outlined in the housing contract.