The Engineering Residential College (ERC) is a living-learning community dedicated to developing the next generation of engineers, construction managers, and computer scientists, who will face the technical challenges of a global economy. ERC's primary goal is to foster a positive academic environment in order to jump start students’ professional development.
First-year students with a declared major in the College of Engineering can enjoy this active community in the newly constructed Spruce Hall on the west side of campus.
In addition to being a part of the on campus and Spruce Hall communities, students in the Engineering Residential College also benefit from these unique opportunities provided in this living-learning community:
- Live and take classes, sometimes in the res halls in the community, with their peers in ERC, creating a smaller network within the larger LSU campus
- Have priority course scheduling
- Network with faculty members and college administrators
- Access to faculty during office hours held in the community
- Offers academic programs and regularly-scheduled evening Supplemental Instruction in math, physics, and chemistry
- Attend corporate-sponsored events aimed at exposing students to internships, Co-Ops, and engineering, construction management, and computer science careers
- Access to in-community tutoring and faculty office hours
Requirements and Eligibility
To participate in the Engineering Residential College, students must:
- Be a first-year student with a declared major in the College of Engineering – biological, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, industrial, mechanical, or petroleum engineering, construction management, computer science, or engineering undecided
- Meet certain ACT/SAT scores to be eligible for math course placement.
- Enroll in at least two courses offered through ERC in both the fall and spring semesters
- Contact Arlyn Saucier, academic counselor, at email@example.com or 225-578-5731 for scheduling assistance
- See the complete list of requirements here.
Application and Room Assignments
- Eligible students should select the Engineering Residential College as their housing preference on the housing application.
- Residential College staff reviews the applications for eligibility as they are received and notifies residents of their acceptance into the program throughout the spring.
- ERC residents can search for potential roommates in the online housing portal in January and will begin making room selections in April.
- For housing application and room assignment information, please contact Res Life at 225-578-8663.
- For Engineering Residential College eligibility information, please contact ERC staff listed below.
Spruce Hall is one of the newest residence halls on campus and provides everything students need to be successful: offices where faculty advisors hold office hours, a classroom in the building, multiple study spaces, beautiful courtyards, and a great location on the west side of campus.