Good evening, Nicholson Gateway neighbors,
In light of several car break-ins at our community in the early morning hours, we want to assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us.
About a dozen cars parked in the surface lots at Nicholson Gateway had smashed windows and cash stolen from the vehicles at approximately 4:15 a.m. LSU Police noticed the crime scene while conducting routine patrols, began investigating and have reviewed surveillance camera footage.
If you have any information that could assist LSU Police in their investigation, please contact LSU Police.
In light of these events, we want remind you of the important role you play in keeping yourself, your roommate(s), and our on-campus community safe.
- Keep valuables out of plain view if left in vehicles.
- At night, walk in groups. This is a good rule of thumb no matter where you are.
- Use Campus Transit. It’s free. Call 225-578-5555, or request a ride through the TransLoc app. Campus Transit is open from 5:30 p.m. to midnight, seven days a week. They will drive you from your parking lot to your building, or from one campus building to another. Learn more at http://www.lsu.edu/parking/transportation/campustransit.php.
- Students who need to park/walk after Campus Transit closes at midnight should call LSU Police, who will gladly send an officer to escort you to your on-campus destination. Call LSU Police at 225-578-3231.
- Download the LSU SHIELD mobile app from the app store. It can help you check on your friends, report suspicious activity, or call police or EMS.
- Report anything suspicious to LSU Police at 225-578-3231 or through the LSU SHIELD app.
- Always lock your door no matter how short of a time you'll be away from your apartment, even if your roommates are home.
- Always confirm who is at your door before opening it. Use the peephole and ask people to identify themselves to you before opening the door.
- Remember that door swipes, door peepholes, and door locks are in place for your safety and
security. Do not disable these mechanisms for convenience.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact your Residence Life Coordinator in your community or reply to this email.
We wish you well this weekend, and thank you for living on campus this year.
Residential Life Staff
LSU Department of Residential Life
99 Grace King Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
email@example.com | lsu.edu/housing