Winter Break Closing Details
As we wrap up the fall semester, make sure you review details about closing for winter break, room changes, contract cancellations and more, including these highlights:
Residence Hall Residents:
- Residence halls close at 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 8, 2018. You are expected to vacate your room within 24 hours of your last exam, or by 8 p.m. on December 8, 2018, whichever comes first. If you are in need of an extension to stay on campus after December 8, 2018, contact your RLC by Friday, December 7, 2018, at Noon to discuss options.
- Residence halls reopen to all returning students on Sunday, January 6, 2019, at 10 a.m. Staff is available to check you in between 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. January 6-8, 2019.
- Students currently living in Highland Hall and Louise Garig Hall can make the move to Evangeline Hall starting on January 5, 2019, from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Check your email and attend community meetings for details. Please note that the Horseshoe parking area will close over winter break to accommodate Highland Hall construction.
- If you are returning to on-campus housing for the spring 2019 semester, you may leave belongings in your room over the winter break, but be sure to take everything you could need over the break. You will not have access to the building until the halls reopen in January.
- Make sure you follow your in-hall staff’s closing instructions to avoid improper checkout
- Take trash to dumpsters. Do not leave in your room or hallway.
- Unplug, defrost and dry out your refrigerator. Remove all food, especially perishables.
- Clean up excessive dirt and dust in your room. Remove as many items from the floor as possible. Note that rooms are not cleaned by our staff over the break. Staff only enters the room to conduct pest control, safety inspections and/or to complete maintenance work.
- Remove all bedding, mattress topper and/or mattress pad from your bed to prevent moisture
- Apartments remain open over the break for students returning for the spring 2019 semester. Your Tiger Card access will continue to be active through the winter break.
- Beginning January 6, 2019, you must check in at your apartment community’s front desk
for the spring semester to avoid a lapse in key access. Simply go to your front desk
to have your key programmed between 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. January 6-8, 2019.
- Your fall room assignment automatically rolls over for spring 2019 unless you complete a room change with the Res Life Assignments team.
- If you are not returning to on-campus housing for the spring semester, you must officially cancel your contract with Res Life staff in Grace King Hall, preferably by December 1, and complete a final check out with your community staff. Review details about the spring semester rent penalty and cancellation process before you cancel.
- See the complete list of LSU Dining locations open during the winter break at lsudining.com. Nicholson Gateway’s Matherne’s Market, Wendy’s, Frutta Bowls and Starbucks will post their holiday hours individually.
- Continue living on campus next year in an apartment. Reserve Your 2019-20 Apartment starting February 1, 2019.
On behalf of the entire Residential Life & Housing staff, thank you for living on campus this semester. We appreciate you and all you’ve contributed to your community, and we look forward to another great semester this spring. We wish you well on your final exams and safe travels home.
Don’t forget to check your lobby for final exam snacks!
LSU Department of Residential Life
99 Grace King Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803