Proposal Development Services
The Office of Research & Economic Development (ORED) is committed to nurturing and supporting high-impact (e.g., large-scale), interdisciplinary, and/or strategic research and instruction programs at LSU. As part of this mission, ORED, through the Office of Research Administration (ORA), will provide administrative and technical support for the development and submission of major grant and strategic proposals. ORA was developed to provide comprehensive support for multidisciplinary and strategic programs; facilitate research collaboration with local, national, and international partners; and promote research initiatives within the seven focal areas identified in the ORED Strategic Plan.
This page describes ORA's proposal development services.
ORA provides proposal support. This support ranges from graphics and text edits to development of budgets and justifications and extends to document collection for developing major and strategic proposals.
While our proposal development typically facilitates the development of large, complex research proposals (i.e., those in excess of $5M) or those of strategic importance to LSU, we will do our best to assist with all proposals as time allows.
ORA will provide comprehensive administrative and technical support for the development and submission of major and strategic grant proposals seeking funding for research and instruction activities that are in keeping with the goals outlined in the ORED Strategic Plan and the LSU Strategic Plan 2025 Agenda.
- Create and maintain a contact list of collaborators working on the proposal schedule and attend planning meetings, create and distribute agendas and action items as needed
- Draft a project timeline for the team with target dates for each phase of the proposal development process
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of the RFP and sponsor guidelines
- Create budgets and budget justifications and liaison with external collaborators to obtain budgets and institutional commitments and as well as with the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)
- Draft letters of commitment/support as needed, collect bio-sketches, facilities and resources information, etc.
- Complete proposal forms and obtain institutional signatures and approvals
- Facilitate external and/or internal scientific reviews, as appropriate
- Provide basic style guidelines for the creation of all portions of the proposal, including citation methods
- Create a file naming and track changes system to help track versions of proposal documents
- Edit documents for flow, sentence structure, syntax, grammar, and style
- Ensure that cross references are accurate throughout the document
- Format and paginate document, create table of contents, check bibliography and notation for consistency and correctness
- Make available templates and sample formatting as requested for the creation of all proposal documents
- Review proposal to ensure it meets all preparation guidelines
Additionally, graphics assistance is available through ORA upon request.
Direct all general inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request the support of this office, please complete the online Proposal Development Request Form. All requests will be evaluated by ORED senior leadership. Factors for consideration will include allotted time for proposal development/assistance, qualifications of the PI, the long-term benefits to the university, and distribution of ORED support across all focal areas.
Proposal development support is generally limited to high-impact and strategic proposals that could substantially increase the LSU research portfolio, enhance research infrastructure, and enable multidisciplinary teams to work on important societal problems.
Proposal assistance is also available on a smaller scale. If you need proposal support, simply ask and we will see what we can do with the resources available to us.
For all proposal service requests, a timeline of 6-9 months is recommended, as this will also allow time for additional internal/external review prior to submission. ORA Staff is available to assist PIs throughout the proposal development process and can provide the following forms of assistance: