The Office of Research & Economic Development is committed to nurturing and supporting high impact, interdisciplinary and large-scale research and instruction programs at LSU. As part of this mission, ORED will provide administrative and technical support for the development and submission of major grant proposals seeking funding for research and instruction activities that are in keeping with the goals outlined in the Strategic Plan and the LSU Flagship 2020 Agenda.
Proposal development support is currently limited to high impact proposals that could substantially increase the LSU research portfolio, enhance research infrastructure, and enable multidisciplinary teams to work on important societal problems.
To request the support of this office, please complete the Proposal Development Request Form and email it to Stephen David Beck and ORA. All requests will be evaluated by ORED senior leadership. Factors for consideration will include allotted time for proposal development, qualifications of the PI, the long-term benefits to the university, and distribution of ORED support across all focal areas. (Recipients of ORED Major Proposal Planning Grants are automatically eligible to receive proposal development support. No additional documentation is required.)
Proposal Development Services
For large-scale efforts, a timeline of 6-9 months is recommended, as this will also allow time for additional internal/external review prior to submission. ORA Staff is available to assist PIs throughout the proposal development process and can provide the following forms of assistance:
- Create and maintain a contact list of collaborators working on the proposal Schedule and attend planning meetings, create and distribute agendas and action items as needed
- Draft a project timeline for the team with target dates for each phase of the proposal development process
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of the RFP and sponsor guidelines
- Create budgets and budget justifications and liaison with external collaborators to obtain budgets and institutional commitments
- Draft letters of commitment/support as needed, collect biosketches, facilities and resources information, etc.
- Complete proposal forms and obtain institutional signatures and approvals
- Closely work with ORED senior administrators to ensure timely execution of each project.
- Provide basic style guidelines for the creation of all portions of the proposal, including citation methods
- Create a file naming and track changes system to help track versions of proposal documents
- Edit all documents for flow, sentence structure, syntax, grammar, and style
- Ensure that all cross references are accurate throughout the document
- Format and paginate document, create table of contents, check bibliography and notation for consistency and correctness
- Make available templates and sample formatting as requested for the creation of all proposal documents
- Review proposal to ensure it meets all preparation guidelines