Associate Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 2006 - Ohio State University
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
443-B Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
Personal Web Page
Medical and Health Physics - Medical Imaging/Diagnostic Physics
Dr. Guang Jia is an ABR-certified diagnostic medical physicist (License P5142) in
Department of Physics at Louisiana State University. Dr. Jia has 173 scientific publications
including 25 journal papers and 148 conference abstracts and short essays. Dr. Jia
was awarded as NIH R21 Grant (PI; 2011.9-2014.8; $632,876), American Urological Association
Foundation (AUAF) Research Scholar (PI; 2009.7-2011.6; $120,000), and American College
of Radiology Imaging Network (ACRIN) Young Investigator Award (PI; 2012.6-2013.12;
$10,000) for his excellent research on clinical cancer imaging.
Dr. Jia’s current researches focus on the clinical application of a novel molecular
imaging technique: chemical exchange saturation transfer (CEST)-MRI. Some examples
of Dr. Jia’s research areas are:
Prostate Cancer Imaging: Dr. Jia successfully applied cutting-edge amide-proton-transfer
magnetic resonance imaging (APT-MRI) techniques to accurately detect prostate cancer.
It has also been applied to investigate bladder tumors. This technique will provide
a novel imaging biomarker for early prediction of treatment responses.
Joint Cartilage Imaging: Dr. Jia non-invasively quantified mobile protein levels in
human knee synovial fluid in the differentiation of osteoarthritis (OA) knee joints
from non-OA joints. Dr. Jia proposed CEST-MRI to detect the overexpressed proteins
and peptides in OA knee synovial fluid.
- 2003 - Research Trainee Prize, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago,
- 2004 - Young Investigator Travel Award, Society for Molecular Imaging (SMI), St. Louis,
- 2006 - Young Investigator Award, Society for Non-Invasive Imaging in Drug Development
(SNIDD), Orlando, FL
- 2007 - Research Trainee Prize, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago,
- 2008 - OSUMC Research Day Scientific Travel Award, Columbus, OH
- 2008 - Research Trainee Prize, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago,
- 2010 - Molecular Imaging Travel Award, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA),
- 2011 - AUAF Outstanding Graduate Scholar Award. AUA Foundation, Washington, DC
- 2011 - Molecular Imaging Travel Award, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA),
- 2012 - Young Investigator Award, American College of Radiology Imaging Network (ACRIN)
- 2012 - Diplomat of the ABR in Diagnostic Medical Physics, American Board of Radiology
- 2013 - Associate Editor, Academic Radiology
Current and Select Publications
- Jia G, O’Dell C, Heverhagen JT, Yang X, Liang J, Jacko RV, Sammet S, Pellas T, Cole
P, Knopp MV, "Colorectal liver metastases: contrast agent diffusion coefficient for
quantification of contrast enhancement heterogeneity at MR imaging," Radiology 248(3):901-909 (2008).
- Huang Z, Mayr NA, Lo SS, Wang JZ, Jia G, Yuh WT, Johnke R,. "A generalized linear-quadratic
model incorporating reciprocal time pattern of radiation damage repair," Medical Physics 39(1):224-230 (2012)
- Jia G, Abaza R, Williams JD, Zynger DL, Zhou J, Shah ZK, Patel M, Sammet S, Wei L,
Bahnson RR, Knopp MV, "Amide Proton Transfer MR Imaging of Prostate Cancer: A Preliminary
Study," Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 33(3):647-654 (2011).
- Jia G, Baudendistel KT, von Tengg-Kobligk H, Heverhagen JT, Polzer H, Henry H, McAuliffe
MJ, Levine AL, Rosol TJ, Knopp MV, "Assessing the Prostate Volume by MRI: A Comparison
of Different Approaches for Organ Volume Analysis," Investigative Radiology 40(4):243-248 (2005).
- Mayr NA, Huang Z, Wang JZ, Lo SS, Fan JM, Grecula JC, Sammet S, Sammet CL, Jia G,
Zhang J, Knopp MV, Yuh WTC, "Characterizing tumor heterogeneity with functional imaging
and quantifying high-risk tumor volume for early prediction of treatment outcome:
cervical cancer as a model," International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 83(3):972-979 (2012).
- Cao X, Bloomston M, Zhang T, Frankel WL, Jia G, Wang B, Hall NC, Koch RM, Cheng H,
Knopp MV, Sun D, "Synergistic Anti-Pancreatic Tumor Effect by Simultaneously Targeting
Hypoxic Cancer Cells with HSP90 Inhibitor and Glycolysis Inhibitor," Clinical Cancer Research 14(6):1831-1839 (2008).
- Cao X, Jia G (Joint First Author), Zhang T, Yang M, Wang B, Wassenaar PA, Cheng H,
Knopp MV, Sun D, "Non-invasive MRI tumor imaging and synergistic anticancer effect
of HSP90 inhibitor and glycolysis inhibitor in RIP1-Tag 2 transgenic pancreatic tumor
model," Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 62(6):985-994 (2008).
- Steinberg J, Jia G, Sammet S, Zhang J, Hall N, Knopp MV, "Three-region MRI-based whole-body
attenuation correction for automated PET reconstruction," Nuclear Medicine and Biology 37(2):227-35 (2010).