LSU Announces Formation of President’s Task Force on Greek Life
BATON ROUGE – LSU President F. King Alexander has empaneled a Task Force on Greek Life to review the culture and environment present on LSU’s campus in order to highlight best practices and eliminate any negative or potentially harmful behavior. Rob Stuart, LSU alumnus and highly respected member of the Baton Rouge community, has agreed to serve as chair.
“Many of our Greek organizations represent all that is good about our university. They volunteer, fundraise for charities and provide opportunities for students to make lifelong connections that extend far beyond their time at LSU,” said Alexander. “However, a small minority of these groups engage in behavior that undermines all these benefits, and that will be identified and discontinued.”
After the passing of Maxwell Gruver under circumstances of alleged hazing, all Greek activities at LSU were cancelled indefinitely. While some aspects of the restrictions have been lifted, the Task Force is charged with taking an exhaustive look at past and current practices of Greek Life, as well as other LSU student organizations, to address concerns about student safety.
The Task Force will review the overall governance and oversight of Greek organizations. This includes current practices surrounding internal governance and accountability of the organizations by campus councils, chapter advisors, alumni and chapter house corporations. Current practices surrounding recruitment and new member education will also be examined.
The task force membership includes 11 people ranging from students, staff and administrative representation to external volunteers:
- Rob Stuart, Chair
- Dan Layzell, Vice Chair, LSU Executive Vice President & CFO
- Jason Badeaux, LSU Student Government President
- Kenneth McMillin, LSU Faculty Senate President
- Mari Fuentes-Martin, LSU Dean of Students
- Verge Ausberry, Athletics Department Representative
- Mason Tusa, Interfraternity Council President
- Anesha Pink, National Panhellenic Council President
- Madison Hopper, Panhellenic Council President
- Camille Flint, LSU Residence Hall Association President
- BJ Billeaudeau, Kappa Sigma House Corporation Representative
"It is important to understand that there will be no return to ‘normal,’” said Alexander. “Student safety is always our primary concern. Greek organizations are a valuable part of campus life at LSU, but hazing and other dangerous behavior will not be tolerated.”
Related: Message from the President
Contact Ernie Ballard
LSU Media Relations