F-1 DSO Letter Request Instructions
These following instructions are for F-1 students who have on-campus jobs that are directly paid by LSU Payroll (such as a department, the library, UREC, etc.)
- For J-1 students, please read the “J-1 Visa Status” information on the Social Security Information webpage: https://www.lsu.edu/intlpro/is/current-students/social_security.php
- For F-1 Students with a Vendor job: Those who have found on-campus jobs that are paid by official vendors such as Barnes and Noble (The LSU Bookstore), Subway in Foster Hall, etc. should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Vendor Work Permit and Letter process.
Steps for F-1 students to request a Combination DSO Letter for Social Security
- You must first find and be hired for a campus job.
- Share the Template Letter for Combined Employment Authorization (LSU Hiring Department and IS DSO) with your LSU on-campus employer. The LSU department or office that is hiring you must complete the top portion of the letter, which must be printed on LSU letterhead with an original signature.
- You will need to submit the following documents to our office:
- A completed DSO Letter Request Form for Social Security (F-1 Students). The form can be found at 101 Hatcher Hall front desk or online at: https://www.lsu.edu/intlpro/is/pdf/ssn-dso_letter_request_form.pdf.
- Original Combination DSO Letter, printed on your LSU hiring department/office letterhead, signed and dated appropriately.
- If you are starting a Graduate Assistantship job, you must also provide a copy of the Assistantship letter.
- Our office will review your request and process it in approximately 5-10 business days. You will receive an email if we have any questions or when the completed documents are ready for pickup.
- Follow the rest of the information on the LSU International Services Social Security Information page: https://www.lsu.edu/intlpro/is/current-students/social_security.php under “Documents Required” for “F-1 Visa Status” to apply for your Social Security number.