Change of Status Application Process
- Instructions for the application process can be located on the USCIS website.
- Make copies of all documents before sending to USCIS.
- Mail the package to the correct address.
- Use a receipt-based mailing option, and keep proof that the documents were received by USCIS.
- The filing fee is paid by check or money order to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
The COS adviser will review your application and supporting documents before it is mailed to the Immigration Office for processing. Application processing times vary and may be rather long. USCIS will issue a Receipt Notice acknowledging that your application has been received. Using your receipt number you will be able to check the status of your application online. We will notify you by e-mail when the approval notice (Form I-797) is received by our office.
You will not receive a new entry visa stamp with your change of status approval. If you travel outside of the U.S. after your change of status approval, you will have to apply for a new visa stamp while abroad to be able to return to the U.S. in your new non-immigrant status.