Updated: June 30, 2020
Here are some decisions made about the fall academic calendar. LSU officials are working to finalize other details and will announce them as soon as possible. Be advised that changes to the academic calendar do not apply to students enrolled in the LSU Online program, or to students in the Paul M. Hebert Law Center and the School of Veterinary Medicine, as those programs operate on separate academic calendars from the rest of the university.
Fall Semester Academic Calendar
- The fall semester and on-campus instruction will begin as planned, on August 24.
- The Labor Day holiday on Monday, September 7, is still in effect.
- Fall Holiday, which was scheduled for October 8-9, will be canceled.
- After the Thanksgiving Holiday, which will be held November 25-27, students will not return to campus. All remaining class meetings after Thanksgiving, as well as final exams, will be held online. By eliminating fall break and not returning to campus after Thanksgiving, we hope to reduce the chances of an outbreak of the virus that could be caused by exposure through travel.
- We are making updates to the fall course offerings to allow for proper social distancing, which may result in room changes to some scheduled courses and/or moving some additional courses online. Students may see some of these changes to their schedules as we make these updates, and LSU will let students know once the updates are complete.
LSU will host a virtual ceremony on August 7. An in-person commencement ceremony will be held later for all those who did not get to have one – either in May or in August – and we will communicate those plans when they become available.
Join us for the virtual graduation ceremony on LSU’s Facebook page at 10 am on Friday, August 7.
All August 2020 graduates should fill out the LSU 2020 Summer Commencement Survey to make your diploma is mailed to the correct address.
Visit lsu.edu/commencement for more detail.
In NORMAL semesters, the Graduate School uses the deadlines set by International Student Services (June 30) as the Graduate School deferral deadline. The Graduate School wants all applications from international students finalized (accepted, denied, or deferred) before that date. That gives ISO all the time ISO needs to process documents, etc. And remember that International Students have to attend International Student Orientation (usually one week before classes start). This is not a normal semester.
So for International students WHO HAVE been accepted by the Graduate School and by the Department before the ISO June 30 deadline, the Graduate School will process deferrals IF the Department asks and IF the student agrees. BUT there is still a timeline, as international students still have to attend International Student Orientation and the International Services Offices needs time to generate a list of which students are required to attend, so they need the Graduate School to have finalized ALL decisions about week before the Orientation. So, the Graduate School needs to know by Close-of-business on Friday August 7th about all requested deferrals. (This is a hard deadline.)
The LSU Library opened for browsing on June 25. All visitors must schedule a 1-hour appointment in advance. Appointments are available on Tuesdays 9:00 am – 12:00 pm & Thursdays 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Only 10 visitors are allowed in the building. The self-checkout kiosk is available in the lobby.
REQUIRED: LSU ID & a face mask.
The LSU Food Pantry is now offering limited food service. To prioritize the safety of students and staff, any student interested in receiving food should visit lsu.edu/foodpantry to fill out the Online Request Form and choose a pick up time on Wednesdays or Fridays.
For questions, please contact the LSU Food Pantry at email@example.com or 225-578-8000.