Natural Gas Pipeline Repairs
Wednesday, August 31, 2022
Just a reminder that tomorrow, our natural gas service provider will begin repair work on the gas pipeline that fuels much of campus. This regulatory repair work is required and will take place off-campus and outside of Baton Rouge. The repairs are not expected to cause any service interruptions; however, we have contingency plans in place in case there are any unexpected outages. Details can be found on the Facility Services website. We remain in close contact with our service provider and will keep you informed throughout the repair process.
Monday, August 8, 2022
On September 1, our natural gas service provider will begin repair work on the pipeline that fuels much of campus. This regulatory repair work is required and will take place off-campus and outside of Baton Rouge.
Repairs are expected to take place without any issues or service interruptions. However, due to the critical services this line supports, including research labs, academic buildings, residence halls, and food services, the university gathered leadership from across campus to conduct a thorough examination of all potential impacts to mission-critical activities across LSU. Under the leadership of Facility Services and our Office of Emergency Preparedness, we are now prepared for possible contingencies and have secured proactive mitigation solutions, including:
- Negotiated backup energy supplies from our service provider and from Entergy, as well as delivery of fuel by truck, if necessary;
- Worked with building coordinators to understand exactly what impact the repair work could have on each campus building;
- Worked with the Office of Academic Affairs to understand what impact the repair work could have on research, instruction, and students;
- Assessed all emergency contracts that could be executed if needed, to provide campus with fuel, generators, HVAC, or food service;
- Rented electric chillers that would increase our campus cooling capacity, if necessary.
Any employee who feels their area has special needs that have not previously been addressed should share those with their building coordinator as soon as possible.
We remain in close contact with our service provider and will do so during the repair and will keep you informed throughout the process.