Scholarship on Research and Teaching
Back to Kathleen Bratton's web page
Motivating Students: Reading & Attendance
- University of Michigan: Motivating Students
- University of Oregon: Motivating Stduents (FAQ)
- Carney, Amy G., Sara Winstead Fry, Rosaria V. Gabriele, Michelle Ballard. 2008. "Reeling in the Big Fish." College Teaching 56(4): 195-200.
- Fernald, Peter S. 2004. "The Monte Carlo Quiz: Encouraging Punctual Completion and Deep Processing of Assigned Readings." College Teaching 52(3): 95-99.
- Moore, Sarah, Claire Armstrong and Jill Pearson. 2008. "Lecture Absenteeism Among Students in Higher Education: A Valuable Route to Understanding Student Motivation." Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management 30(1): 15-24.
- Gump, Steven E. 2005. "The Cost of Cutting Class: Attendance as a Predictor of Student Success." College Teaching 53(1): 21-26.
- Kember, David, Amber Ho, and Celina Hong. 2008. "The Importance of Establishing Relevance in Motiving Student Learning." Active Learning in Higher Education 9(3): 249-263.
- "Two Strategies for Getting Students to do the Reading." 2011. Teaching Professor 25(1): 4-6.
- Johnson, Bethany C. and Marc T. Kiviniemi. 2009. "The Effect of Online Chapter Quizzes on Exam Performance in an Undergraduate Social Psychology Course." Teaching of Psychology 36(1): 33-37.
The statements and opinions included in this website are those of Kate Bratton only. Any statements and opinions included in these webpages are not those of Louisiana State University or the LSU Board of Supervisors.