Scholarship on Research and Teaching
Back to Kathleen Bratton's web page
Classroom Management: Civility, Focus, Credibility, and Authority
- Columbia University: Dealing with Excuses
- Colubmia University: Handling Problematic Student Behavior (note that some advice is specific to Columbia University, but this includes general advice which is helpful)
- University of Michigan: Incivility in the Classroom(note that some advice is specific to University of Michigan, but this includes general advice which is helpful)
- University of Oregon: Issues of Respect(note that some advice is specific to U-Oregon, but this includes general advice which is helpful)
- University of Oregon: Managing the Class Climate(note that some advice is specific to U-Oregon, but this includes general advice which is helpful)
- University of North Carolina: Managing Classroom Conflict
- Indiana University: Esuring Civility (note that some advice is specific to Indiana University, but this includes general advice which is helpful)
- Lippmann, Stephen, Ronald E. Bulanda, and Theodore C. Wagenaar. 2009. "Student Entitlement: Issues and Strategies for Confronting Entitlement in the Classroom and Beyond." College Teaching Fall 197-204.
- Alberts, Heike C., Helen D. Hazen, and Rebecca B. Theobald. 2010. "Classroom Incivilities: The Challenge of Interactions Between College Students and Instructors in the U.S." Journal of Geography in Higher Education 34(3): 439-462.
- Boysen, Guy A. and David L. Vogel. 2009. "Bias in the Classroom: Types, Frequencies, and Responses. Teaching of Psychology 36: 127-17.
- Lee, Ming-yeh and Jaunita Johnson-Bailey. 2004. "Challenges to the Classroom Authority of Women of Color." New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education 102: 55-64. And Johnson-Bailey, Juanita and Ming-Yeh Lee. 2005. "Women of Color in the Academy: Where's Our Authority in the Classroom?" Feminist Teacher 15(2): 111-122.
- Bjorklund, Wendy L. and Diana L. Rehling. 2010. "Student Perceptions of Classroom Incivility." College Teaching 58: 15-18.
- Hassel, Holly and Jessica Laurey. 2005. "The Dea(r)th of Student Responsibility." College Teaching January: 2-13.
- Eison, James. 1990. "Confidence in the Classroom: Ten Maxims for New Teachers." College Teaching 38(1):
- Perry, Gary, Helen Moore, Crystal Edwards, Katherine Acosta and Connie Frey. 2009. "Maintaining Credibility and Authority as an Instructor of Color in Diversity-Education Classrooms: A Qualitative Inquiry." Journal of Higher Education 80(1): 80-105.
- Perlmutter, David D. 2011. "Overcoming the 'Rattle Effect'." Chronicle of Higher Education 57(26)
- Perlmutter, David D. 2004. "Thwarting Misbehavior in the Classroom." Chronicle of Higher Education 50(30).
The statements and opinions included in this website are those of Kate Bratton only. Any statements and opinions included in these webpages are not those of Louisiana State University or the LSU Board of Supervisors.