Scholarship on Research and Teaching
Back to Kathleen Bratton's web page
Active Learning / Discussion in the Classroom
- University of Michigan: Active Learning
- University of Michigan: Discussion-Based Teaching / Controversial Discussions
- University of Minnesota: Active Learning in the Classroom
- University of North Carolina: Active Learning in the Classroom
- Quinn, Robert J. and Zhixia You. 2010. "Improving Classroom Discussion Using an Innovative Structure." College Teaching 58: 116-116
- Gallagher, Eugene V. 2010. "'Discussion Starter' Papers." Teaching Theology and Religion 13(3): 241-242.
- Goss, Michael. 2009. "When Socratic Dialogue is Flagging: Questions and Strategies for Engaging Students." College Teaching 57(1): 45-50.
- Kennedy, Ruth R. 2009. "The Power of In-Class Debates." Active Learning in Higher Education 10(3): 225-236.
- Bonwell, Charles C. and James A. Eison. Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom.
- Cherney, Isabelle D. 2008. "The Effects of Active Learning on Students' Memories for Course Content." Active Learning in Higher Education 9(2): 152-171.
- Machemer, Patricia L. and Pat Crawford. 2007. "Student Perceptions of Active Learning in a Large Cross-Disciplinary Classroom." Active Learning in Higher Education 8(1): 9-30.
- UNC Center for Faculty Excellence. 2009. "Classroom Activities for Active Learning." For Your Consideration…Suggestions and Reflections on Teaching and Learning. (series)
- Columbia University: Make Your Discussion Sections More Engaging, Dynamic, and Productive
- Harvard University: How To Make Lectures More Participatory
- Indiana University: Discussion
- Indiana University: Discussion Techniques
- Lightner, Sharon, Marcie J. Bober, and Caroline Willi. 2007. "Team-Based Activities to Promote Engaged Learning." College Teaching 55(1): 1-18
- Vega, Quinn C. and Marilyn R. Tayler. 2005. "Incorporating Course Content While Fostering a More Learner-Centered Environment." College Teaching 53(2): 83-86.
- Bensley, D. Alan, Deborah S. Crowe, Paul Bernhardt, Camille Buckner and Amanda L. Allman. 2010. "Teaching and Assessing Critical Thinking Skills for Argument Analysis in Psychology." Teaching of Psychology 37: 91-96.
- Glennon, Fred. 2010. "The Question Bag: An Active Learning Strategy.” Teaching Theology & Religion 13(3): 260-262.
The statements and opinions included in this website are those of Kate Bratton only. Any statements and opinions included in these webpages are not those of Louisiana State University or the LSU Board of Supervisors.