Husam Sadek, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Research
3315-A Patrick F. Taylor Fall, Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Phone: (225) 578-0131
Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Pavement Engineering), University of Liverpool, UK, 2015
M.Sc., Structural Engineering, The University of Calgary, Canada, 2009
B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Qatar University, Qatar, 2006
Research Assistant Professor August 2018 – Present
Tran-SET Regional University Transportation Center - Louisiana State University- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Conduct research in the area of advanced materials for infrastructure sustainability.
- Serve as a PI/CO-PI for Tran-SET projects.
- Participate in all aspects of planning, development, and management of the Tran-SET UTC program.
- Prepare proposals for submission to granting agencies and foundations to attract external funding.
- Build strategic partnerships with local, regional and national funding agencies to
source of funds including LADOTD, FHWA, NCHRP, industry and foundations.
- Monitors progress of the center's civil, construction and transportation research
projects with emphasis
on concrete, asphalt, pavements, sustainability, material characterization and structures.
- Supervise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students working on the center's projects.
- Support Center's research dissemination activities through participation/development
of short courses,
seminars, and webinars to students, community colleges, industry and DOT personnel.
Research Associate May 2017 – July 2018
Modified Asphalt Research Center (MARC) - University of Wisconsin-Madison - Madison, Wisconsin
- Lead and managed a $150k sponsored WisDOT research project on Field versus Laboratory
and Moisture Sensitivity of Asphalt Pavements (WHRP 17-04).
- Lead and manage a $100k sponsored WisDOT research project on the Effect of Tack Coat
on Tracking Performance (WHRP 17-06).
- Manage all industrial consultancy projects, including planning, testing, analysis, reporting.
- Supervise and manage the research projects of two PhD and two MSc students.
- Prepare research proposals (technical and budget).
- Developed a draft ASTM Standard Test Method for Rotary Asphalt Wheel Testing (RAWT)
Compacted Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA).
- Write and review manuscripts and technical reports for publication.
Pavement Expert Assistant Nov. 2015 - April 2017
ANAS S.p.A. - The QA/AC Pavement Consultancy Service Project - Doha, Qatar
- Investigated a pavement failure (severe surface defects) of a newly constructed major
different field and laboratory testing after a pavement condition survey resulted in replacing the
surface asphalt concrete layer with a new one following the specification requirements.
- Involved in performing pavement condition surveys and performance evaluations on the
- Provided initial field recommendations of road segments for future pavement preservation strategies.
- Audited and reviewed more than 40 pavement design reports of highways and local roads
the Public Works Authority for approval against the required specifications and the best international
practices, which optimized the pavement designs.
- Planned and implemented the development of the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design
the State of Qatar by testing all materials being used in Qatar. Created the materials database,
conducted laboratory testing and analyzed the data with field transfer functions.
- Reviewed and updated the current pavement design specifications.
- Assessed and interviewed the supervision consultants’ personnel working for the Public
Authority road projects, which resulted in designing special training courses to enhance their
knowledge about the materials in Qatar and best practices.
Graduate Student Research Assistant May 2011 - Dec. 2015
Department of Civil Engineering - The University of Liverpool - Liverpool, UK
- Investigated in depth the performance of six full-scale trial asphalt pavement sections
Qatar with different aggregate types (Gabbro & Limestone) and different binder types (Polymer
modified and unmodified binders) which showed the significant improvement in performance against
fatigue cracking and rutting when polymer modified binders and Gabbro aggregates are used.
- Conducted several field tests (i.e. FWD and IRI) and laboratory tests (i.e. Dynamic
Number, Push-Pull Fatigue, etc.) on the mixtures and cores collected from the trial sections.
- Implemented a Life Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA) study on the use of conventional pavement
structures and the perpetual pavements which suggested shifting to perpetual pavement in order to
reduce the rehabilitation/maintenance costs with enhancement in performance.
- Developed a probabilistic analysis approach based on Monte Carlo Simulation (MCS)
to predict the
performance of asphalt mixtures against fatigue damage to a highly reliable level using the
Viscoelastic Continuum Damage (VECD) approach.
- Investigated the suitability of using recycled materials or by-products (i.e. Steel
waste and RAP) in road construction which showed a promising potential to be used in Qatar.
Aug. 2008 - Nov. 2015
Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering – Qatar University - Doha, Qatar
- Courses taught in Civil Engineering: Statics, Strength of Materials, Properties and
Materials, Analysis of Structures I & II, Design of RC Members, Design of RC Structures, Design of
Steel Structures, Pavement Materials and Design.
- Courses taught in General Engineering: Engineering Graphics, Engineering Skills and
Probability and Statistics for Engineers.
- Administrative and Academic Responsibilities:
- Outreach Committee Member
- Advisor for the ASCE Student Chapter
- Facilities and Safety Committee Member
- ABET Accreditation Committee Member
- New Students Orientation Committee Member
- First Year Experience (FYE) Project Member
Skills and Areas of Experience
- Mixture and Pavement Designs: Knowledgeable about Marshall and Superpave mix designs; Knowledgeable Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA), Warm-Mix Asphalt (WMA), Cold In-place Recycling; Experienced in AASHTO 1993 and Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Methods; Well-trained to conduct Flexible and Rigid pavement designs and analysis; Experienced in evaluating pavement responses and performance evaluation; Experienced in the QA/QC of Pavement Production and Construction; Knowledgeable about Pavement Maintenance and Rehabilitation techniques.
- Field and Laboratory Testing: Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester (AMPT) tests: Dynamic Modulus, Flow Number, Push-Pull Fatigue Tests; Rotary Asphalt Wheel (RWT) Test; Hamburg Wheel-Tracking (HWT) Test; Semi-Circular Bending (SCB) Tests; Marshall Stability and Flow Test; Dynamic Shear Rheometer (DSR) Test; Disk-Shaped Compact Tension (DCT) Test; Multiple-Stress Creep-Recovery (MSCR) Test; Falling Weight Deflectometer (FWD); Fuel Resistance (FR) Test; Tensile Strength Ratio (TSR) Test; Automatic Road Analyzer (ARAN) collected data (e.g. IRI and GPR); Linear Amplitude Sweep (LAS) Test
- Main Technical Software Packages: AASHTOWare (M-E PDG); KENLAYER; KENSLAB; Elmod6; SCB-IFIT; DRIP; MATLAB; Primavera; AutoCAD
- Soft Skills: Multi-tasking; Public Speaking; Communication Skills; Team Management; Self-learning & Proactive; Speed Reading and Writing
In the process of applying for Professional Engineering (PE) License.
Grade A (Consultant) Civil Engineer at the Ministry of Municipality and Environment of Qatar.
Associate Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
Associate Member of the Transportation & Development Institute’s (T&DI) Highway Pavement
Committee of the ASCE.
Member of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), International Society for
Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), Transportation Research Board (TRB), Academy of Pavement Science
and Engineering (APSE), Arab American Association of Engineers and Architect (AAAEA).
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
Sadek, H., Rahman, M.Z., Lemke, Z., Bahia, H., Reichelt, S. and Swiertz, D., (under review).
“Performance Comparison of Laboratory-Produced Short-Term Aged Mixtures with Plant-Produced
Mixtures.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering.
Sadek, H., Rahman, M.Z., Lemke, Z., Bahia, H., and Swiertz, D., (under review). “Effect of Low-
Temperature Modifiers on HMA Mixture Aging and Cracking Resistance.” Construction & Building
Sadek, H., Sadeq, M., Masad, E., Al-Khalid, H., Sirin, O. (2019) “Probabilistic Viscoelastic
Continuum Damage Analysis of Fatigue Life of Warm Mix Asphalt.” Journal of Transportation
Engineering, Part B: Pavements, Vol. 145, Issue 3.
Lv, Q., Huang, W., Sadek, H., Xiao, F., Yan, C. (2019). “Investigation of the Rutting Performance of
Various Modified Asphalt Mixtures Using the Hamburg Wheel-Tracking Device Test and Multiple
Stress Creep Recovery Test.” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 206, pp. 62-70.
Jiang, J., Ni, F., Wua, F., Sadek, H., Lv, Q. (2019). “Evaluation of the Healing Potential of Asphalt
Mixtures Based on a Modified Semi-Circular Bending Test.” Construction and Building Materials,
Vol. 196, pp. 284-294.
Lemke, Z., Sadek, H., Swiertz, D., Reichelt, S. and Bahia, H. (2018). “Effects of Reheating Procedure
and Oven Type on Performance Testing Results of Asphalt Mixtures.” Transportation Research Board
97th Annual Meeting, Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
Sadek, H., Masad, E., Al-Khalid, H., and Sirin, O. (2016) "Probabilistic Analysis of Fatigue Life for
Asphalt Mixtures Using the Viscoelastic Continuum Damage Approach." Construction and Building
Materials Journal, Vol. 126, pp. 227-244.
Sadek, H., Al-Khalid, H., Masad, E., Sirin, O., and Khaled, H. (2014) “Characterisation of fatigue
resistance of alternative pavement design for the state of Qatar.” Journal of Sustainability, Eco-
Efficiency and Conservation in Transportation Infrastructure Asset Management, pp. 433-439.
• Sadek, H., Masad, E., Sirin, O., Al-Khalid, H., and Hassan, K. (2014) "Performance Evaluation of
Full-Scale Sections of Asphalt Pavements in the State of Qatar." Journal of Performance of
Constructed Facilities (ASCE).
Taha, R., Sirin, O., and Sadek, H. (2014) "Evaluation of Combined Excavation Waste and Reclaimed
Asphalt Pavement Aggregates for Use in Road Bases and Sub-bases." Journal of Civil and
Environmental Engineering. Vol. 4, Issue 2, No. 141. DOI: 10.4172/2165-784X.1000141
Sadek, H., Masad, E., Sirin, O., Al-Khalid, H., Sadeq, M., and Little, D. (2014). "Implementation of
Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Analysis in the State of Qatar." International Journal of Pavement
Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 495-511.
Taha, R., Sirin, O., and Sadek, H. (2014) "Recycling of Local Qatar’s Steel Slag and Gravel Deposits
in Road Construction." International Journal of Waste Resources, Vol. 4, Issue 4: 167.
Sadek, H., and Lissel, S. (2013). “Seismic Performance of Masonry Walls with GFRP and Geogrid
Bed Joint Reinforcement.” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 41, pp. 977-989.
Eid, H., Alansari, O., Odeh, A., Nasr, M., and Sadek, H. (2009). “Comparative Study on the Behavior
of Square Foundations Resting on Confined Sand.” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 46, No. 4,
Sadek, H., Masad, E., Al-Khalid, H., and Sirin, O. (2015) “Fatigue characterisation of full-scale
pavements using viscoelastic continuum damage approach for Qatar.” 6th International Conference on
Bituminous Mixtures and Pavements, 10-12th June 2015. Thessaloniki, Greece.
Sadek, H., Masad, E., Sirin, O., Al-Khalid, H., and Hassan, K. (2014) “Characterization of Fatigue
Resistance of Alternative Pavement Designs for the State of Qatar.” 3rd International Conference on
Transportation Infrastructure, 22-25th April 2014. Pisa, Italy.
Taha, R., Sirin, O., and Sadek, H. (2014) “Beneficial Use of Qatar’s Steel Slag and Gravel Deposits
in Road Construction.” Proceeding of the LJMU 13th Annual International Conference on Asphalt,
Pavement Engineering and Infrastructure, 26-27th February 2014. Liverpool, UK. Vol.13. ISBN 978-
Sadek, H., Masad, E., Sirin, O., Hassan, K., and Al-Khalid, H. (2013). “Evaluation of Mechanical
Properties of Alternative Pavement Designs for the State of Qatar.” 2nd MESAT Conference, 5-7th
February 2013, Sharjah, UAE. MESAT-039.
Sadek, H., Masad, E., Sirin, O., Al-Khalid, H., and Little, D. (2012). “The Implementation of
Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Method to Evaluate Asphalt Pavement Design in Qatar.” 5th
Eurasphalt & Eurobitume Congress, 13-15th June 2012. Istanbul, Turkey.
Sadek, H., and Lissel, S. (2008). “Seismic Performance of Masonry Walls with GFRP and Geogrid
Bed Joint Reinforcement.” The 8th International Seminar on Structural Masonry, Istanbul, Turkey, 5-
7 Nov. 2008.
- A certificate in a web-based training entitled “Fatigue Cracking of Asphalt Pavements
- Analysis and
Interpretation of Fatigue Cracking Test Data” – Asphalt Institute & AAPT – Nov. 2016.
- A certificate in a web-based training entitled “Fatigue Cracking Tests for Asphalt
Asphalt Institute & AAPT – Oct. 2016.
- A certificate in a web-based training entitled “Fatigue Cracking of Asphalt Pavements
– Asphalt Institute & AAPT – Oct. 2016.
- A certificate in a training course entitled “Energy Saving, Environmental Management
Energy” – Cosmo Oil Co., Ltd – Japan, Jan. 2015.
- A certificate in a training course entitled “Quality Control/Quality Assurance and
Practices of Asphalt Pavement” – Dr. John D’Angelo and Dr. Eyad Masad – Continuing Education
department in Texas A&M University at Qatar – Doha, Dec. 2013.
- A certificate in an Administrative Session entitled “Communication and Presentation
Skills” – Mr.
Ahmed Al-Sayed – Al-Fursan Center – Doha, Mar. 2006.
- A certificate in an Administrative Session entitled “The successful work group – for
professionals” - Dr. Yosuf Al-Abdullah – Excellence Center – Doha, Mar. 2005.
- A certificate in an Administrative Session entitled “The effective managing of youth”
– Dr. Yosuf Al-
Abdullah – Excellence Center – Doha, Nov. 2004.