Diversity Abroad at LSU
The goals of the Diversity Abroad initiative are threefold:
- Increase the number of underrepresented students studying abroad
- Provide scholarships and programmatic support for student participants
- Develop international opportunities for faculty and administrative exchanges
Desired Impact/Learning Outcomes
The LSU Diversity Abroad initiative aims to impact the student experience by providing students from underrepresented populations with greater opportunities to see the world and develop as global citizens. Specifically, Diversity Abroad at LSU will enable students to:
- Immerse in and engage with different cultures
- Understand different styles of learning
- Increase language skills
- Discover new interests
- Develop personally and gain an independent sense of self
- Explore career and graduate study opportunities
LSU offers a variety of study abroad programs including semester and year-long exchange programs, intersession and summer programs. Some of the exciting opportunities include Art in Ireland, Food & Culture in Greece, LSU in Germany and Media & Politics in Europe.
LSU provides students with fellowship, scholarships & other financial assistance to help make their dreams become a reality. Some scholarships and fellowships are awarded based on academic majors while some are geared toward students in any academic discipline.
Studying abroad demonstrates diversity and one’s willingness to embrace change. Those who study abroad are able to gain a better understanding of the world, and opportunity to witness firsthand how culture has been transmitted globally. According to International Student, studying abroad also exposes students to new ways of thinking through various styles of learning, increases language skills, enhances your resume, provides new perceptive of culture, and opportunities to create lifelong friendships.