Mission, Vision, & Diversity Statement
Enhancing diversity at LSU is a core institutional value.
The Office of Diversity (OoD) is a division of the Office of Academic Affairs committed to fostering inclusive educational opportunities and an equitable workforce environment at LSU. OoD provides leadership to ensure that diversity is a vital component in all decision-making processes on all administrative, academic, budgetary, and strategic planning fronts.
To that end, OoD ensures that LSU as a whole is actively recruiting and supporting a diverse student body while simultaneously recruiting and supporting faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
OoD is also responsible for supervising and guiding professional units whose purpose and mission is to promote understanding and respect for difference. These units include the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the African American Cultural Center, and the Women’s Center. Similarly, OoD works closely with University committees, commissions, task forces, and affinity groups whose charge is to support underrepresented LSU community members.
The core tenants of the OoD Mission and University Diversity Statement provide a strong platform from which to launch a focused vision of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the next generation of growth and impact institutionally, regionally, nationally and globally.
Our Vision is centered on five areas that will build upon and expand the current framework of the Office of Diversity:
- Commitment to positively impacting the University’s Mission and Flagship 2020 vision
- Providing enthusiastic leadership and support for Faculty recruitment, retention, training, program development, curriculum enhancements and research opportunities
- Delivering holistic, success oriented, structured, pathways for student access, support, and success through degree completion and eventual membership into the alumni community
- Improving campus climate and preparing University citizens to be culturally aware, engaged locally and connected globally
- Developing collaborative partnerships and shared leadership internally and externally that will impact the advancement and financial support for the Office of Diversity and LSU
Diversity is fundamental to LSU's mission and the University is committed to creating and maintaining a living and learning environment that embraces individual difference. Cultural inclusion is of highest priority. LSU recognizes that achieving national prominence depends on the human spirit, participation, and dedicated work of the entire University community. Flagship: 2020 will be realized by bringing together diverse ideas, perspectives, skills, and talents of the nation's pre-eminent scholars, brightest students, and leading higher education professionals. Through it's Commitment to Community; LSU strives to create an inclusive, respectful, intellectually challenging climate that embraces individual difference in race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, spirituality, socio-economic status, disability, family status, experiences, opinions, and ideas. LSU proactively cultivates and sustains a campus environment that values open dialogue, cooperation, shared responsibility, mutual respect, and cultural competence– the driving forces that enrich and enhance cutting edge research, first-rate teaching, and engaging community outreach activities.