2020 Audition Dates
- Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Saturday, February 1, 2020
- Saturday, February 8, 2020
What To Expect On Audition Day
- You will be notified by the Office of Student Success of your confirmed audition date
- Prepare your audition pieces, or relevant portfolio work, sufficiently ahead of time.
- Upon arrival at LSU, you will check-in at the LSU School of Music building.
- Auditions run concurrently throughout the day. You will have access to practice rooms
and lounge areas in the building.
- Several campus resource offices will have information tables set up in the lobby.
We know auditions can seem like a whirlwind - here are a few things to remember which can make your audition a less stressful experience.
Dress for Success: Try on and run through your audition in the clothes you plan to wear—accessories and all. If any item of clothing is too uncomfortable, consider wearing something else.
Hydrate and Breathe: When you get nervous, your mouth may get dry and your breathing changes. Bring your own bottle of water to the audition and be conscious of your breath. Release a good, long exhalation (and all that tension) just before you perform.
Like an Interview: Your audition starts as soon as the door opens. Be confident, shake the instructor’s hand, bring a portfolio with copies of your résumé, repertoire list and audition program. And remember—you are also conducting an “audition” of sorts to determine if the school is the right fit for you.
Picture Yourself: Imagine the performance with detail: picture yourself on stage, how the instrument feels in your hands, the audience in front of you, what the lights are like. Imagine yourself performing successfully, positive emotions, playing difficult passages with ease.
Music Minor & Ensemble Audition Information
Prospective students seeking a Minor in Music do not need to audition during Audition Days.
- Auditions for music minors will be held the week prior to the start of classes. If you wish to audition as music minor please contact the appropriate faculty member of your area or instrument in music to arrange an audition in the fall. If you still wish to audition as a music major, you will need to sign into MyLSU and change your major via the Student Services page.
Prospective students only seeking to participate in music ensembles do not need to audition during Audition Days.
- Students interested in auditioning for participation in ensembles will audition during the first week of classes. Students can feel free to contact those ensemble directors directly for additional information.
- For all concert ensembles, visit the Ensemble Auditions page.
- For the Tiger Marching Band, visit the Athletic Bands page.
- For choral ensembles, visit the LSU Choral Studies page.
Directions, Parking & Accommodations
General Directions to Campus - http://www.lsu.edu/parking/resources/directions.php
- For specific Google Maps directions to our various buildings, please visit our Facilities page.
Baton Rouge Area Hotels - http://www.campustravel.com/university/lsu/visit_lsu.html
Visit Baton Rouge - https://www.visitbatonrouge.com/