Wind & percussion students interested in participating in a concert ensemble at LSU will audition during specified time blocks at the start of each semester. The ensembles requiring auditions include:
- Wind Ensemble (MUS 4251)
- Symphonic Winds (MUS 4254)
- Symphonic Band* (MUS 4252)
- Symphony Orchestra (MUS 4261)
*Students auditioning for only the LSU Symphonic Band should prepare a single audition piece from the options given. Students auditioning for any other ensembles must prepare ALL audition pieces.
All wind auditions will take place in the Tiger Band Hall, while percussion auditions will take place in the Percussion Studio. These auditions will be performed behind a screen (blind audition) - faculty judges will assess only the quality of the playing.
Below are the excerpts that have been selected for each instrument by the studio faculty. The required passages have been indicated by either arrows or brackets. In preparing for the audition, please make sure that you listen to a recording of each excerpt to best understand the tempo and overall character of each selection.
You should arrive at your audition location at the beginning of the time block listed for your instrument. There will be a proctor with a sheet for you to sign-up for a specific time slot, and you will be given your number. You are then free to warm-up and practice until your audition time.
It is the student's responsibility to ensure their course schedule does not conflict with their ensemble. After audition results are posted, students should immediately register for the appropriate course through myLSU. Course codes for the four primary ensembles can be found above, or in the LSU General Catalog.
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 pm. | Percussion
- 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. | Tuba*
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. | Euphonium*
- 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. | Saxophone
- 6:00 – 8:30 p.m. | Trumpet
- 9:00 – 11:15 a.m. | Flute
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. | Oboe
- 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. | Trombone
- 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. | Woodwind Make-ups
- 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. | Horn
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Bassoon
- 1:30 – 4:00 p.m. | Clarinet
- 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. | Brass and Percussion Make-ups
- 8:00 p.m. | Results Posted (via email and on website)
All wind auditions will be held in Tiger Band Hall. All percussion auditions will be held in the Percussion Studio.
*Tuba and Euphonium auditions will be held in the Old Band Hall.
Fall 2019 Ensemble Audition Excerpts
Wind & Percussion
Please note that all excerpts are PDF files and will open in a new window.
- Prepare a three-octave scale and arpeggio of your choice, with both slow and fast examples represented.
- Prepare two contrasting selections of your choice (one slow, one fast): either two contrasting movements of a concerto, sonata, solo sonata or partita or violin etudes.
String performers should contact Maestro Carlos Riazuelo, Director of Orchestra Studies, if they have any questions about auditions.