2018 Summer Courses
Are you interested in enrolling in a summer course in 2018? The School of Library & Information Science offers several courses for undergraduate and graduate students. The majority of SLIS summer courses are offered fully online with an additional course offered in a one-week intensive session. Consider enrolling in one of the following classes offered:
Undergraduate Course Offerings
LIS 1001 Library Research Methods and Materials (1): Fundamentals of college-level research; location, evaluation and use of information for research needs; introduction to the library and to the organization, access and retrieval of information; hands-on experience in a variety of printed and electronic resources.
Graduate Course Offerings
- LIS 7000 Information and Society (3) Information as a concept, and its uses and meanings in contemporary global society.
- LIS 7002: Information Resources (3) Preparation for reference services; including the reference interview; selection
and use of general, scholarly and specialized reference resources in various subject
- LIS 7008: Information Technologies and Systems (3) Introduction to hardware, software, telecommunications and networks, and system issues
relating to information technologies.
- LIS 7010: Organization of Information (3) Concepts and principles of information organization; methods and tools used for organizing
information, including bibliographic control and metadata creation.
- LIS 7011: Information Needs and Information Seeking (3) User-centered approaches to meeting information needs of individuals and communities;
community analysis, user studies and user-centered design of services and resources.
- LIS 7503: Information Technology and Public Policy (3) Examines the impact of information technology and public policies on economic, social
and political systems; focuses on major public policies related to information technologies
within the United States and selected countries.
- LIS 7506: Preservation and Digitization of Audiovisual Materials (3) Introduction to the concepts and basic techniques for preservation and digitization
of moving image and recorded audio materials.
- LIS 7800 The Art and Practice of Library Storytelling** (3) Role of storytelling as a form of communication; preparation and presentation of stories for all age groups; planning story programs.
** Course is not offered online. LIS 7800 is a one-week intensive session.