This specialization trains and supports information professionals working in non-traditional environments, such as knowledge management and competitive intelligence. It focuses on the nature and characteristics of tacit and explicit knowledge, information behaviors in organizational settings, and strategies to capture, identify, codify, organize, store, share, use and reuse various information and knowledge assets in organizations. The specialization is designed for students who seek careers such as knowledge manager, knowledge engineer/strategist, competitive intelligence analyst/manager, or information/knowledge specialist.
Complete one required course (3 hours):
- LIS 7508 Management of Knowledge-based Assets in Organizations.
Complete at least three of the following electives (9 hours):
- LIS 4511 Information Architecture
- LIS 7205 Business Information Resources
- LIS 7403 Special Libraries & Information Centers
- LIS 7511 Competitive Intelligence
- LIS 7808 Special Topics in LIS (when topic is appropriate)
Dr. Tao Jin