Bachelor's Degree(s): Sport Management, University of Tennessee, 2002
Master's Degree: Business Administration, East Tennessee University, 2004
PhD: Sport Management, The Ohio State University, 2011
Phone: 225 578-2904
Office: 202 Huey P. Long Field House
Dr. Chris Barnhill is an Assistant Professor of sport management in the School of Kinesiology at Louisiana State University. His primary area of scholarship is organizational behavior with a focus on psychological contracts between organizations, employees, and athletes. His most recent research in this area explores how different modes of communication effect psychological contract development for sport organization employees. In prior research, Dr. Barnhill has examined the impact of psychological contract breaches on student-athletes’ team commitment, satisfaction with their school, trust in their coaches, intentions to transfer, and perceptions of performance. Dr. Barnhill also studied employees’ expectations of their organizations to be socially responsible members of their communities. Outside of his psychological contract research, Dr. Barnhill has developed lines of inquiry examining educational practices in undergraduate and graduate sport management education.
Dr. Barnhill’s research has been published in numerous journals, including the International Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Education Journal, Journal of Intercollegiate Sport, Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, Journal of Applied Sport Management, Journal of Contemporary Sport, Case Studies in Sport Management, and the Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education. His research has also been presented at numerous national and international conferences including the North American Society for Sport Management, the College Sports Research Institute, and the European Association for Sport Management.
Dr. Barnhill arrived at LSU after serving as an Assistant Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator at Georgia Southern University. He earned his Ph.D. in 2011 from The Ohio State University. Prior to his career in academia, Dr. Barnhill served as an administrator in the athletic departments of East Tennessee State University and Kansas State University.
College of Education and Human Ecology Graduate Fellowship 2010
- Awarded to doctoral candidates who have demonstrated outstanding potential in research by the College of Education and Human Ecology at The Ohio State University.
Delbert Oberteuffer Scholarship 2009
- Awarded for outstanding demonstrated potential in research by the College of Education and Human Ecology at The Ohio State University.
Adidas Partners in Sports Scholarship 2001
- Awarded for outstanding performance in the study of Sport Management at the University of Tennessee.
- North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), 2008 – Present
- College Sport Research Institute (CSRI), 2012 – Present
- European Association for Sport Management (EASM), 2015 – Present
- Sport and Recreation Law Association (SRLA), 2016 – Present
- Academy of Management (AOM), 2016 – Present