Undergraduate Degree Requirements • Regulations

LSU has the responsibility to protect its educational mission, and the health and safety of its community and of the property therein, through regulating the use of University facilities and setting standards of scholarship and conduct for its students.

Because of its educational mission, the University also has the responsibility to carry out its disciplinary authority in a manner that contributes to the development and education of the student.

The disciplinary authority of LSU is derived from the provisions of the Louisiana Revised Statutes. These statutes established the Board of Supervisors and gave it the power to adopt rules and regulations necessary for the government of the University consistent with its mission, and to adopt rules and regulations governing student conduct.



Each student is responsible for completing all requirements established for his or her degree by the University, college, and department. It is the student's responsibility to learn these requirements; a student's adviser or counselor may not assume that responsibility. Any substitution, waiver, or exemption from any established departmental or college requirement or academic standard may be accomplished only with the approval of the student's dean. Exceptions to University requirements, including the general education requirements, will be authorized only with the approval of the student's dean and the Office of Academic Affairs.


The catalog that determines the curricular requirements for an undergraduate degree is the catalog that is in effect at the time of entry. This catalog may be used for a maximum of 10 years provided enrollment is not interrupted for two consecutive semesters. Students whose enrollment is interrupted for two or more consecutive regular semesters may choose no catalog earlier than the one in force at the time of re-entry. Continuing students may elect a subsequent catalog when a new major is selected or when a catalog reflects a revised curriculum. Transfer students may use the catalog in effect at the time of their first entry into an accredited higher education institution, provided that the transfer to LSU is made within five years of the first entry.

The University will make a reasonable effort to honor the statement of curricular requirements in the chosen issue of the catalog. However, because courses and programs are sometimes discontinued and requirements are changed as a result of actions by accrediting associations and other external agencies, the University, having sole discretion, shall make the final determination whether degree requirements are met.

Note: Admission to LSU does not guarantee admission to a student's program of choice; many programs have highly selective admission criteria. Students follow the senior college program admission requirements in their catalog of entry into LSU; however, students transferring from another institution to LSU or from one major to another within the University must meet the program admission requirements in the catalog in effect at the time of transfer. Students are encouraged to obtain the most up-to-date and accurate information about requirements and changes.


A minor is that part of a degree program consisting of a specified group of courses in a particular discipline or field. The minor usually consists of 15 percent or more of the total hours required in an undergraduate curriculum. Minors, available to students on an optional basis, are established by departmental, school, or college faculties. Once a minor has been established, any LSU student may pursue that minor, subject to the following rules and procedures:

• The course requirements for the minor, including prerequisites, as published in the LSU General Catalog must be followed.Any substitutions in the minor must be approved by the chairman of the department and the dean of the college offering the minor.

• When a student in one college wishes to pursue a minor in a different college, the student must obtain permission from his/her own dean.

• A student following a particular catalog for the major field must follow the minor requirements stated in the same catalog. Exceptions must be approved by the chair of the department and the dean of the college offering the minor.

• A student must earn a minimum 2.00 gpa in the minor field, although some faculties may impose higher minimum gpa requirements.

• Courses used to satisfy the minor may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.

• Degree audits for minors will be verified by the college in which the student is enrolled. The minor must be declared no later than graduation check-out time. All course requirements for the minor must be completed by the time of graduation.


A concentration is an alternative track of courses within a major, accounting for at least 30 percent of the major requirements. Establishment of a concentration does not require prior approval by the Board of Regents. Areas of concentration are available within most undergraduate curricula. For additional information, see the curricula listed in the appropriate college chapter.


• A grade-point average of 2.00 ("A" = 4) on all work taken, except for those courses in which grades of "P," "W," or "I" are recorded, is required for graduation. In order to meet graduation requirements, students must have a 2.00 average on work taken at this University (all System campuses) as well as a 2.00 average on their entirecollege record.

• Candidates for a bachelor's degree must fulfill a minimum residence requirement of two semesters (or four summer terms), earn at least 25.0 percent of the total number of hours required for the degree at this University (all System campuses), and meet the residence requirements of their college as stipulated in each college's and school's section of this catalog.

• After students have earned one-half of the credits required for a bachelor's degree, they may not use additional credits earned in a two-year college outside the LSU System to fulfill degree requirements, unless authorized to do so by the dean of their college or school.

• Students must complete a general education component of 38-39 semester hours in approved courses in six major areas: English composition, analytical reasoning, arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. Each student must demonstrate computer literacy in ways deemed appropriate by the faculty of the senior college in which the student is enrolled. The "General Education Requirements" section of this catalog specifies approved courses and the regulations governing applicable credit.

• Students should review specific curricula for precise degree requirements.

• In addition to these minimum requirements, students must meet all special regulations established by the faculties of their respective colleges and listed in each college's section of this catalog.

• Degrees, both honorary and earned, are conferred only by vote of the Board of Supervisors upon recommendation of the faculty of the University or the faculty of the appropriate college, school, or division of the University (all System campuses).

Procedural Requirements for Obtaining a Diploma

• During the semester prior to the one in which graduation is anticipated, candidates must request that the dean of their college evaluate their academic records for compliance with degree requirements. (Each college establishes its own degree requirements, which are listed in that college's section of this catalog.) At the time of degree application, candidates must indicate how they wish their names to appear on the diploma and in the commencement program.

• At their last registration, candidates must pay the graduation fee. Students should consult the current Registration Schedule of Classesfor the deadline to receive a refund of the graduation fee. Students who previously have paid a graduation fee, but who did not graduate at the expected time, must pay a $20 duplicate diploma fee.

• All financial indebtedness to the University (all System campuses) must be cleared prior to graduation. For those students who received Stafford or SLS loans, an "exit interview" conducted by the Office of Student Aid & Scholarships is required.

• Candidates for degrees are expected to participate in commencement day exercises, unless excused by their deans.

Requirements for a Second Baccalaureate Degree

Persons who wish to obtain a second baccalaureate degree from this University must meet all academic and residence requirements set by the college(s) concerned and must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the work offered for the degree requiring the fewer number of hours. Students may not earn more than one bachelor's degree with the same major field of study.

See "Requirements for a Second Bache-lor's Degree" in each college's section of this catalog.

Enrollment in Two Degree Programs

With the dean's approval, a student may be enrolled in two degree programs concurrently. A student can enroll as a dual registrant using one of the following procedures:

• Dual Enrollment Within the College--By completing residence and academic requirements for two degree programs, a student may earn one bachelor's degree with two majors. By completing residence and academic requirements, andearning 30 hours more than the degree requiring the fewer number of hours, a student may earn two separate bachelor's degrees.

• Enrollment in Two Colleges--By completing residence and academic requirements for two degree programs and earning 30 hours more than the degree requiring the fewer number of hours, a student can earn two bachelor's degrees in two separate colleges. The student must be accepted for admission to both colleges and must adhere to the regulations of both colleges. In addition, the student must declare a home college where registration will be initiated and permanent files maintained. It is the student's responsibility, however, to maintain contact with the second college to ensure that satisfactory progress is being made toward that degree.


Chancellor's Honor Roll

The Chancellor's Honor Roll is prepared each semester. Full-time undergraduate students completing at least 12 college-level hours at LSU in the semester/term, with a semester grade-point average of 4.00 and no "I" grades for the semester, are included on the roll. Independent (correspondence) study courses will not be used to determine full-time status.

Dean's List

The Dean's list is compiled each semester and summer term. Full-time undergraduate students completing at least 12 college-level hours at LSU in the semester, with a semester average of at least 3.50, but less than a 4.00, and no "I" grades for the semester, are included in the list. Independent study courses will not be used to determine full-time status for the Dean's list.

University Honors

The baccalaureate degree is awarded summa cum laude to any student whose LSU (all System campuses) grade-point average is at least 3.90, magna cum laude if the grade-point average is at least 3.80, and cum laude if the grade-point average is at least 3.70. Students awarded the baccalaureate degree with honors must also have satisfied all additional requirements imposed by their colleges, schools, or departments. Two grade-point averages will be computed for each student: (1) on all work completed and (2) on all work completed at LSU (all System campuses). The lower of the averages will be used to determine eligibility for honors. Students in combined undergraduate, graduate, and professional curricula (medical, veterinary medicine, law, allied health) who earn more than 50 percent of their credits in an undergraduate college at LSU (all System campuses) with a grade-point average greater than or equal to 3.70 are eligible to receive their degrees with honors. To determine honors, the student's average at LSU (all System campuses) is weighted with the average furnished by the professional school.

University Medal

At each commencement, the University medal for "Highest Academic Achievement" is awarded to the undergraduate student (or students) graduating with the highest grade-point average, provided that more than 50 percent of the credits required for the degree has been earned at LSU-BR. Grade-point averages will be computed for (1) all work completed and (2) all work completed at LSU-BR, with the lower of the two averages determining eligibility for the medal.




Students must complete registration to attend class, including payment of fees as stipulated in the "Undergraduate Fees and Expenses" section of this catalog. The Office of the University Registrar will provide evidence of registration to instructors. Students whose names are not on the official roster cannot attend the class until officially registered for that class.

To register after classes begin, students must obtain special permission from their academic deans. Approval by the Office of Academic Affairs also is required after the official "Final date for adding courses for credit," specified in the "Academic Calendar." Students may add or drop courses or make section changes with approval of the appropriate dean within the periods designated in the "Academic Calendar."

Identification Cards

When first enrolled in the University, students are issued permanent photo identification cards at no cost. The ID card is the property of the University and must be retained for each subsequent term of enrollment.

Lost or stolen ID cards must be reported to Campus Card Operations, 221 LSU Union, as soon as the loss or theft is discovered. Students who do not report lost or stolen cards in a timely manner may be held responsible for any charges incurred on the cards.

Students who alter or intentionally mutilate a University ID card, who use the card of another, or who allow others to use their ID cards may be subject to University discipline.

A charge is assessed to replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated ID card, even if the student is reenrolling after an interruption of study. If a replacement card is issued, the original card is no longer valid.


Students are expected to keep the University informed of their current addresses. Students will be held responsible for communication from any University office sent to the most recent address(es) provided. Changes in address may be made by using PAWS, in deans' offices, or in the Office of the University Registrar.

First Class Meeting

Students who fail to attend the first class meeting without prior arrangement with the department may be required to drop the course to make space available to other students.

Students are responsible for ensuring that they have been dropped from the course; otherwise, they are liable for a grade of "F."


Students should observe any special attendance regulations stated by their college, school, division, or the instructor. The instructor may report a student's absences and the student may be placed on attendance probation by his or her dean. A student may be dropped from the college by violating the written terms of such probation.

An absence due to illness or other causes beyond a student's control will be excused when the instructor is convinced that the reason for absence is valid. The University's Policy Statement 22 discusses approved trips, activities, and other instances of excused absences.

Instructors will excuse any student who is unable to attend or participate in class or an examination on a religious holiday supported

by the student's religious beliefs. It is the student's responsibility to anticipate such conflicts and discuss it with the faculty member well in advance. Policy Statement 31 discusses the University's policy on observance of religious holidays in further detail.

Adding or Dropping Courses

To avoid schedule changes after the official registration period, students are encouraged to plan each semester's course work in consultation with academic advisers. Any schedule changes should be made as soon as possible after the beginning of classes.

Students may drop courses through the sixth class day without receiving a grade of "W." Students may add courses through the eighth class day. Courses may be added, dropped, or sections changed using the telephone registration system or PAWS. After the sixth class day, students may continue to use PAWS or the telephone registration system (REGGIE) to add courses. Students should consult the current Registration Schedule of Classes to determine if they can drop courses using the telephone registration system or PAWS. Students not permitted to do so must initiate course drops using a form available in the college dean's office.

A grade of "W" will be entered on a student's record for any course dropped between the sixth class day and the final date for resigning from the University and/or dropping courses. The latter is specified in the academic calendar.

Although "W" grades do not affect the grade-point average, an excessive number reflects negatively on a student's record and could have a bearing on the student's academic standing. Therefore, it is recommended (although not required) that students keep the number of "W" grades within the limits shown in the following table.

Hrs. Earned at LSU Number of Course Since August 25, 1989 Drops Permitted

0-29................................................................ 3
60-89 ..............................................................1
etc. ................................................................1

Students may drop all courses by withdrawing from the University according to the guidelines in the section, "Resignation from the University." A resignation will not count towards the number of drops permitted. Undergraduate Enrollment
in Graduate Courses

Qualified LSU seniors may register for graduate credit with the recommendation of the undergraduate college dean, the approval of the appropriate department chair, and approval of the dean of the Graduate School. Superior undergraduates may also register for graduate credit under the "Accelerated Master's Degree Program." Requirements and regulations for both programs are specified in the sections,

"Graduate Credit for LSU Seniors," and "Accelerated Master's Degree Program," found in the chapter, "Graduate School • Professional Programs," in this catalog.

Under the "Superior Undergraduate Student Program," advanced undergraduates who have earned a minimum gpa of 3.50 and 30 hours of course work may enroll for undergraduate credit in 4000- or 7000-level courses with consent of the instructor and permission of the dean of the student's undergraduate college. Refer to the "Course Numbering System" section in the chapter, "Courses of Instruction," in this catalog for additional requirements.

Registration of LSU

Nonacademic Employees

Full time nonacademic (excluding faculty) employees, who have been employed at least one year, with approval from their department head or supervisor, may register for job-related undergraduate or graduate courses at any LSU System campus for up to six hours per semester and receive full tuition exemption. Only three hours per week of the approved job-related courses may be taken during work time without charge to annual leave. Continued participation in the tuition exemption program will be based on making satisfactory progress as determined by the employee's supervisor. Satisfactory progress shall generally be interpreted to include completion of the course with a passing grade. (Please note that the provisions of this policy do not apply to specialized self-supported educational programs such as the Executive MBA Program. Employees should consult with the Chief Academic Officer on their campus to determine eligibility.)

Full-time nonacademic and other academic (excluding faculty) employees, during the first year of employment and with approval from their supervisors, may register, at their own expense, for a job-related course and be allowed to take the course during work time for no more than one hour per day up to three hours per week.

Cancellation of Registration

Students who drop all of their classes prior to the first day of class will have their registration canceled. These students will receive a 100 percent refund (less the $10 nonrefundable registration fee), but they must apply to re-enter the University before they can register for a subsequent semester or summer term.

Resignation from the University

A student may voluntarily resign from the University beginning with the first day of class through the final day for resigning shown in the "Academic Calendar." Resignation is initiated in the office of the student's academic dean. The student must obtain a resignation form and file the form with the Office of the University Registrar within 10 daysafter it has been endorsed by each administrative office indicated on the form. Resignation is not complete until the form is submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.

Students who absent themselves from the University without leave and without official resignation will not be assigned "W" grades and, at the end of the semester, normally will receive grades of "F" in courses for which they are registered.

Students who withdraw from the University (including all campuses of the LSU System) without approval, or who are dropped from the University for any reason, may be ineligible for readmission for a semester or longer.


Year Classification of Students

The number of semester hours of credit earned determines a student's year classification, as follows:
Freshman• fewer than 30 hours
Sophomore• at least 30, but fewer than 60
Junior• at least 60, but fewer than 92
Senior• 92 or more
Exception• A student in a five-year program with at least 60, but fewer than 136 hours, is a junior; with 136 or more, a senior.
See "Course Numbering System" for regulations governing the level of courses students may take, based on their classifications.

Students enrolled in University College are further classified as UCFY-1 or UCFY2, depending upon the number of semester hours of credit earned.

Students are also classified as full-time or part-time in accordance with the following provisions.

Full-Time Students

• Undergraduate--must carry 12 or more hours of resident credit in a regular semester or six or more hours in a summer term.
• Graduate--must enroll in Graduate School for at least nine hours of work in the fall and spring (six hours in the summer term).

The benefits and privileges accorded to full-time students include use of the Student Health Center; admission to certain athletic events on presentation of a valid University identification card; one subscription to The Reveille,the student newspaper, the Gumbo(yearbook), and the Legacy Magazine. Only full-time students will be approved for campus employment or may represent LSU in any athletic, dramatic, literary, musical, or other University organization.

Part-Time Students

Undergraduate students are classified as part-time if they schedule or drop to fewer than 12 hours of course work in a semester or fewer than six hours in a summer term. Criteria for part-time status in the Graduate School are available from the Graduate School.

Maximum Credit Load
for Undergraduates

Each college establishes the number of semester hours of course work required in each year of its curricula. In no case, however, will students be permitted to register for more than 21 hours of degree credit in a regular semester. Maximum loads for the summer term are 12 hours for the long session and six hours for the short session. A maximum of 12 hours may be earned in a combination of summer sessions. Under no circumstances can these maxima be exceeded.

Full-time students who are doing unsatisfactory work because of a heavy academic load may be required by the their college dean to drop one or more courses, provided such action does not change their full-time status.

Transfer Credit

The extent to which credit earned in other colleges and universities is accepted toward fulfilling degree requirements at LSU (including all campuses of the LSU System) is determined by the dean of the student's college. Students may not receive credit for work taken concurrently at another college or university without prior written approval from their academic dean.

Transfer credit will be allowed for a maximum of 21 semester hours scheduled in any one semester. Only work that is acceptable by the offering institution as baccalaureate degree credit is recognized. Credit earned in two-year technical or terminal degree programs which, when completed, results in an "associate in applied sciences" diploma may be accepted to the extent that the courses parallel baccalaure-ate degree work here, as determined by the appropriate department and subject to the normally applicable conditions. Students who have earned one-half of the credit required for a degree may not utilize in fulfillment of degree requirements additional credit earned in a two-year college (except in the LSU System) unless specifically authorized by the dean of the college in which enrollment is sought. A maximum of one-fourth of the credit required for the degree may be earned through regionally accredited university correspondence and extension study.

After students have earned one-half of the credits required for a degree, they may not use additional credits earned in a two-year college outside the LSU System to fulfill degree requirements, unless authorized to do so by the dean of their college or school.

General Education Credit • Deans are to determine the applicability of transfer courses to a component of LSU's general education requirements.

If the college does not approve a transfer course for general education credit, the student may petition the Office of Academic Affairs for a decision.

Credit for Repeated Courses

A student may not repeat a course in which a grade of "C" or better has been earned unless the catalog description indicates that the course may be repeated for credit or the student's dean approves the repetition for some special reason. If a student registers for a course in violation of the above policy, the student's dean may deny degree credit for the course.

Unless otherwise stated in the course description, credit will be awarded only once for a course that is repeated. When students are permitted to repeat for credit a course previously taken in the LSU System, only the last grade determines acceptability of the course for degree credit. If a student receives a failing grade when repeating a course for which a passing grade had been earned, the student will lose the credit previously earned for the course. All instances of repeated courses are included in grade-point average calculations; however, degree credit may be awarded only for the last repetition.

Students who receive an "F" in a course must repeat the course in the LSU System in order to receive credit and quality points for it. With prior concurrence of the chair of the department in which the course is offered and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled, credit and quality points may be approved in individual cases for courses repeated outside the LSU System.


An enrolled student may be admitted to class as an auditor by obtaining written consent from the course instructor and the dean of the college offering the course. After scheduling the course, students must submit the required approvals to their deans' offices to change their enrollment from credit to audit. Other students who desire only to audit (and not to schedule any courses for credit) may obtain special enrollment forms from the Office of the University Registrar. Auditors will not receive credit for courses audited, although courses previously audited may later be taken for credit. Students will not be permitted to take advanced-standing or proficiency examinations on audited course work. See the section, "Undergraduate Fees and Expenses," for a listing of fees for auditing courses.

Change in registration from audit to credit or credit to audit requires permission from the instructor of the course and the student's dean. Approval for change from audit to credit must be obtained no later than the final date for adding courses for credit as shown in the "Academic Calendar." A request for a change from credit to audit must be submitted no later than the final date for dropping courses without receiving a grade of "W."

Correspondence (Independent) Study

A correspondence course grade will be posted to the transcript when the course is completed. If a student takes the final examination by the last day of the final examination period of a semester/summer term, the grade will be posted to that semester/term. The grade will be used to determine academic action at the conclusion of that semester or summer term. If the final examination is taken after that date, the correspondence grade will be posted to the next regular semester or summer term. Correspondence grades will not be posted to Intersession.


Credit Examinations

LSU System Credit• Students awarded advanced-standing or proficiency credit on other campuses within the LSU System can transfer that credit to LSU if the basis for awarding the credit is comparable to that on this campus. The student is responsible for requesting that the registrar on the other campus send an official transcript to the LSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions showing the credit earned.

Credit from Other Collegiate Institutions• Credit earned through departmental proficiency examinations administered by other accredited colleges/universities and listed on the official transcript is evaluated in accordance with policies applying to resident credit earned at those institutions. Grades earned through credit by examination are not included in the computation of the grade-point average.

Subject Examinations • Transfer students who have taken subject examinations in the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or who have participated in the Advanced-Placement Program of the College Board should have their examination scores sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation.

Transfer credit is not awarded for work or travel experience, except as validated through appropriate departmental proficiency examinations at LSU.

Credit by Examination• Credit by examination is limited to 30 semester hours and cannot be used to reduce the minimum residence requirement for graduation. With approval of the appropriate academic dean, credit earned through Advanced-Placement courses of the College Board will be excluded from the 30-semester-hour credit limit. Credit exams will not be used to fulfill full-time status for the purpose of determining honors or dean's list eligibility.

Proficiency Examinations • Proficiency tests are considered equivalent to final examinations in college-level courses. Ordinarily, new transfer, re-entry, and continuing students must obtain permission from their academic deans and from the chairs of the departments offering the courses prior to taking the examinations. Students may apply for these tests at any time after they have been admitted to the University. Tests are administered subject to the conditions specified below.

• The student must have been admitted to the University (includes all System campuses) and must be in good standing.

• To initiate the examination, permission must be obtained from the appropriate dean and the chair of the department offering the course. After authorization is granted, the Office of the University Registrar will issue an Advanced-Standing or Proficiency Exam Grade Report upon payment of the required fees. No instructor may give a proficiency examination until he/she has received the official grade report.

• If a grade of "C" or higher is earned on the examination, a mark of "P" and regular credit in the course are entered on the student's transcript. If a grade lower than "C" is earned, only the fact that the examination has been attempted will be recorded; credit will not be allowed. A student may take a proficiency examination in a particular course only once.

• Course credit will be posted to the semester that corresponds to the date entered in the date field on the Advanced-Standing or Proficiency Exam Grade Report.

• Students are not permitted to schedule proficiency examinations in courses they have audited, in courses in which they have earned unsatisfactory grades, or in courses they have dropped with grades of "W."

• Credit earned through proficiency examinations will not be used in computing the student's grade-point average.

• Students must pay a fee of $20 for each examination in which credit by proficiency examination is being sought; an additional $20 processing fee is assessed for each examination administered by the Center for Assessment & Evaluation.

Midsemester Examinations

The "Academic Calendar" shows the midsemester examination period. Faculty must report midsemester grades in all undergraduate courses. These grades are available through PAWS and the LSU Touchtone Information System (REGGIE).

Concentrated Study Period

The five-day period during the fall and spring semesters (Wednesday through Sunday) immediately preceding the week of final examinations will be set aside as a concentrated study period. During this time, no extracurricu-lar student activities, such as social and athletic events, will be held on- or off-campus. There should be no required major examinations in academic courses, other than those considered laboratory courses. Any exceptions to this policy must receive prior approval from the Office of Academic Affairs.

Final Examinations

The final examination period will be comprised of six days (Monday through Saturday). Final examinations are required in all courses. When a final examination is inappropriate because of the nature of the course, exceptions to this requirement may be made upon approval of the appropriate department chair, dean/director, and the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost.

Final examinations must be given during the published dates for the final examination period.

A final examination is defined as the last in a series of major tests specified in the course syllabus. It need not be comprehensive. If the course syllabus does not call for a final examination, the last major unit examination is to be considered the final examination and must be given during the final examination period. When a series of major tests is scheduled in addition to the final examination, the last of the major test series may not be given during the concentrated study period. Exams and performances in laboratory-type courses may be given or required during the concentrated study period.

A student who, because of illness or other valid reason, is absent from any final examination may take a special examination only with authorization of the dean of the student's college and with the concurrence of the instructor involved.


Faculty members must provide the University and the student with an individual evaluation of each student's work. At the beginning of each semester, faculty members must distribute written course syllabi in all courses, graduate and undergraduate, clearly stating the relative weight of the component factors of the final grade. Additionally, in 4000-level courses in which instruction of undergraduates for undergraduate credit and graduate students for graduate credit is combined, syllabi should clearly set forth any different expectations of performance by students in the two groups (beyond the expectation of a 2.00 minimum gpa for undergraduates and a 3.00 minimum gpa for graduate students).

On request, faculty should provide to students a review of all graded material, including final examinations, that contributed to the course grade and a review of the method by which the grade was determined. Final grades may not be lowered to reflect a student's poor class attendance.

Unreturned examinations and other graded material should be kept on file for at least six months following the end of the academic term. Faculty members who leave the campus during this period should file all course material in their departmental offices.

It is the right and responsibility of faculty members to determine and assign the grade for each student enrolled in their courses beyond the final date for withdrawing with a "W," as specified in the "Academic Calendar." The instructor's assignment of a grade is final; the grade may not be changed or altered except through the academic appeal procedure, following appropriate investigation.

In extraordinary circumstances that make it impossible for the instructor to fulfill the responsibility of determining a course grade, the department chair shall assign the grade. In such a case, the department chair may elect to award the grade of "P" (Pass). This "P" grade would be excluded from the normal limits on use of the pass-fail option indicated below.

Re-examination, special examinations, extra-credit projects, or extra laboratory hours cannot be made available to an individual student unless the same options are available to the entire class.

Undergraduate Grades

• Grades of "A," "B," and "C" are assigned for satisfactory work. A grade of "A" indicates distinguished mastery of the course material; a grade of "B," good mastery; a grade of "C," acceptable mastery. A grade of "D" indicates minimally acceptable achievement for credit; in some colleges a grade of "D" in certain courses does not allow that credit to be applied toward the degree. A grade of "F" is failing. A grade of "P" (pass) denotes satisfactory completion (grade of "C" or better) of advanced-standing or proficiency examinations, pass-fail option courses, and certain other courses. A grade of "NC" (no credit) indicates that no credit is earned.

• Grading scale--A student's grade-point average is determined by the ratio of quality points earned to semester hours attempted. Quality points are assigned to letter grades using the following scale: "A" = 4 quality points; "B" = 3 quality points; "C" = 2 quality points; "D" = 1 quality point; "F" grades carry no quality points. Grades of "P," "W," "I," and "NC" are not used in computing the official grade-point average and, therefore, do not carry quality points. All courses taken for which grades of "A," "B," "C," "D," or "F" are assigned, including repeated courses, are considered in calculating grade-point averages.

• "W" grades--A "W" will be entered on a student's record for any approved course dropped within the dates specified in the "Academic Calendar." In extraordinary cases, upon written petition, the dean of the student's college may authorize a resignation and/or a drop from a course after the last date specified.

• "I" grades--Work which is of passing quality but which, because of circum-stances beyond the student's control, is incomplete, may be marked "I" (incomplete). An "I" grade may be assigned for undergraduates only if the instructor receives appropriate authorization from the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. If authorization is not received, the instructor is to consider the delinquent work to be of failing quality, and an "I" grade may not be assigned. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate the request for the academic dean's authorization. An "I" grade will be converted to "F" unless it is removed during the next regular semester in which the student is in residence in the LSU System prior tothe deadline for adding courses for credit as specified in the "Academic Calendar." In extraordinary cases, the dean of the student's college may authorize that the "I" grade become permanent, or that an extension of time for removing the grade be allowed.

• Grades earned in courses offered by the Hebert Law Center, the School of Medicine, the School of Dentistry, and the School of Veterinary Medicine shall not be considered in computation of the grade-point average of an undergraduate student unless approval is given by the dean or director of the student's college to permit the student to use the professional courses as electives or to pursue a combined curriculum.

Computation of the
Grade-Point Average

For all academic purposes, grade-point averages shall be specified to three significant figures (two decimal places), with the last figure to reflect rounding from a four-significant-figure average (three decimal places) where possible. If the third figure after the decimal point is equal to or greater than five, upward rounding shall occur. If the third figure after the decimal point is less than five, it shall be dropped, regardless of what the fourth or subsequent figures may be. Thus, 3.9550 becomes 3.96, and 3.9549 becomes 3.95. In calculations to determine relative rank in class, a student's average may be carried to three decimal places. Regardless of the results of rounding, no student shall be deemed to have graduated with a "4.00" average if any grade other than "A" or "Pass" for courses completed appears on the transcript.

Any grade-point average cited to only one decimal place (as 2.0) shall be construed to mean, mathematically, a figure accurate to two decimal places (as 2.00), regardless of the text.

Pass-Fail Option
for Undergraduates

Some courses have been approved to be graded pass-fail for all students enrolled. In courses with regular grading, students may petition for the pass-fail grading option, subject to the guidelines indicated below. In all undergraduate courses with pass-fail grading, the grade of "P" will be given for work of "C" quality or better. The grade of "F" will be given for work below "C" quality.

Students may be registered in several courses regularly graded pass-fail during a given semester and still elect to take an additional course under the pass-fail option program. To register under the pass-fail option, students must obtain the necessary approval signatures on a petition card that can be obtained from the office of their dean.

Courses passed with a grade of "P" may be offered for degree credit, but the grade will not be considered in computing the grade-point average. An "F" in a pass-fail course will be treated as any other "F," both with regard to credit earned and to grade-point average calculation.

For information about the pass-fail option for graduate students, see the "Graduate School • Professional Programs" chapter.

Pass-Fail Option Program
for Kinesiology Activity Courses

The following policies apply to kinesiology courses numbered below 1400.

• Students are allowed to enroll under the pass-fail option regardless of grade-point average, other courses being taken on a pass-fail basis, and total number of courses completed on a pass-fail basis.

• Only the approval signature of the instructor of the course is required on the petition card.

• The petition must be submitted prior to the last day to add courses for credit.

Pass-Fail Option Program
for All Other Courses

Limited use of a pass-fail option is permitted at the discretion of the individual colleges and schools, subject to the following policies.

• The pass-fail option is available only to those students whose grade-point average in the LSU System is 2.50 or better.

• The pass-fail option is allowed only for unrestricted electives or other courses approved by the student's major department.

• No more than 12 semester hours of degree credit in the pass-fail option program are permitted; pass-fail enrollment may not
exceed one course per semester, excluding those courses normally graded pass-fail.

• Enrollment under the pass-fail option program must have the prior approval of the instructor, the chair of the student's major department, and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled.

• Through the last day to add courses for credit, students may, with appropriate approval, change from pass-fail to graded status and vice versa. No change in the grading option may be made after the last day for adding courses for credit.

Grade Reports

Reports of final grades are mailed to students at the end of each semester and summer term if there is a change in their academic status, provided their financial accounts with the University (all System campuses) are current. Other students may request, via PAWS, that the Office of the University Registrar mail them reports of their final grades. Final and midsemester grades are also available through PAWS and the LSU Touchtone Information System (REGGIE).

Transcript of Record

Upon written request, former and currently enrolled students may obtain complete transcripts of their academic records, provided they are current in their financial obligations to the University (all System campuses). Requests must include the signature of the student. Partial transcripts are not issued. Normally, two days of processing are required after the transcript request is received. At the beginning or end of a semester, considerably more time is required. Telephone requests for transcripts cannot be honored.

Privacy of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records:
1. The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

Students should submit to the University Registrar, academic dean, Dean of Students, or other appropriate University official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. All students' educational records are open to the Chancellor, the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, the vice chancellors, the academic deans and directors, and the Dean of Students. In addition, the following individuals are also LSU officials:

(a) A person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position, including health and medical staff, teaching assistants, and student assistants.
(b) A person appointed by the Board of Supervisors.
(c) A person employed by or under contract to the University to perform a special task, such as a University attor-ney.
(d) A person employed by the LSU Police Department.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official acts in the following capacities: performance of a task that is specified in his or her position description or contract agreement, related to a student's education or to the discipline of a student; provision of a service or benefit relating to the student or the student's family; or maintenance of the safety and security of the campus.

Upon request, the University discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll and agencies and offices administering financial aid.

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures of LSU to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605
Copies of the University'sPolicy Statement 30 concerning FERPA may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

Directory information is defined as the student's name, local address, telephone number, home address, and e-mail address; date and place of birth, major field of study and classification; activities and sports, weight and height (members of athletic teams); dates of attendance, and degrees, awards, and honors received; and the most recent educational institution attended by the student.

Students' names, addresses, and major field of study are listed on the Internet by LSU. Students who wish to withhold any information in these categories should complete the appropriate form available from the Office of the University Registrar by the tenth class day in any term, indicating directory information is not to be released and/or posted to the Internet. The hold will remain in effect until the student requests that it be lifted. Only currently enrolled students may place a hold on the release of directory information. Each student who is registered for the fall semester will have his or her name and local address listed in the campus telephone directory unless the appropriate form (available from the Office of the University Registrar) is completed by the tenth class day of the term.


The following provisions apply to all students, except those enrolled as extension, LSU25+, or "visiting" students. For details regarding the use of correspondence study grades to determine scholastic standing, see "Undergraduate Admission." Courses taken at Southern University through the LSU-SU Cooperative Program are recorded as transfer credit.


Grade-Point Average • The grade-point average is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted. For example, a student who has attempted 46 hours and has earned 122 quality points has a grade-point average of 2.652.

Overall Grade-Point Average •The overall grade-point average is calculated on work attempted at all colleges and universities attended.

LSU System Grade-Point Average • The LSU System grade-point average is calculated on all work attempted at LSU and at any other institution in the LSU System.

Good Standing • Students are in good standing if they are eligible to continue or to re-enroll at the University, even if on scholastic probation or on academic warning status.

Academic Warning

At the end of the fall or spring semester, intersession, or summer term, students will be placed on academic warning status if their grade-point averages are one to nine quality points below a 2.00 on all work attempted or on all work attempted in the LSU System. A notation to that effect will be entered on their transcripts. Students will remain on academic warning until they bring their grade-point averages up to 2.00, or are placed on scholastic probation.

Scholastic Probation

At the end of the fall or spring semester, students will be placed on scholastic probation if their grade-point averages are 10 or more quality points below a 2.00 on all work attempted or on all work attempted in the LSU System. Students may also be placed on probation on the basis of unsatisfactory progress toward meeting the specific requirements of their academic program. Such students will be informed in writing of the conditions required to continue in their academic program.

Students will remain on scholastic probation until they have overall averages of 2.00 or higher on all college work attempted andon all work attempted in the LSU System.

Students who have been removed from scholastic probation will be placed on probation again at the end of any fall or spring semester in which their LSU or overall averages are less than 2.00.

Scholastic Drop

Students on probation will be dropped from the University at the end of any fall or spring semester if their averages are less than 2.00 either on all work attempted or on all work attempted in the LSU System that semester.

Students dropped for scholastic deficiency may enroll in the summer term at LSU. If their quality-point deficits are totally removed during the summer term, they may petition their dean to allow them to enroll for the fall semester. Students in scholastic drop status may register on a noncredit basis for correspondence courses; they may not, however, enroll as auditors. They also may not apply toward LSU degree requirements credit earned at any institution during the period of their ineligibility to enroll at LSU.

The Summer Term/Intersession

Students cannot be placed on probation or dropped from the University on the basis of work taken during the summer term or intersession. They can, however, be placed on academic warning status.

Work taken during the summer term can result in students being removed from academic warning status, scholastic probation, or scholastic drop status.

Reentry after Scholastic Drop

Students dropped for the first time for academic reasons can be considered for readmission when they have been out of the University (all LSU System campuses) for one regular semester.

Students dropped the second or subsequent time for academic reasons must remain out of the University (all LSU System campuses) for one calendar year.

In either instance, readmission may be delayed or denied at the discretion of the dean of the college in which the student desires to enroll.

Students entering the University after scholastic drop will be admitted on scholastic probation. Reinstatement after a scholastic drop (see "Appeal of Academic Ineligibility to Enroll") will not remove the drop notation from the transcript.

Academic Bankruptcy

Under specified conditions, undergraduate students who have interrupted their college careers for a period of at least five consecutive calendar years may, at the time of application for admission to the University, declare academic bankruptcy. Under this policy all college work taken at an earlier date is eliminated from computation of the grade-point average and cannot be applied toward a degree at LSU. Such work will remain on the student's scholastic records and transcripts, but will not be used in the computation of the grade-point average for honors or the University Medal. It will, however, be used to compute the grade-point average for admission to graduate and professional study.

Students qualifying for academic bankruptcy may be admitted on scholastic probation. Details of this policy may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.


Appeals of final grades must be initiated by the student within 30 calendar days after the first day of classes in the next regular semester. The procedure is as follows:

1. The student should meet with the faculty member concerned to discuss the situation and attempt to arrive at a solution. Although each may have a counselor present, it is believed that under most circumstances, the meeting will be more productive if only the student and the faculty member are present. If an administrative officer (department chair, dean, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost) is the faculty member who assigned the grade that is appealed, that officer should recuse himself or herself from the appellate process; his or her place in the procedure will be taken by a faculty member appointed ad hoc by the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost or the Chancellor, as appropriate.

If the faculty member is on sabbatical leave or is otherwise unavailable, his/her place will be taken by a faculty member appointed by the department chair or his/her designee. The faculty member must inform the student of his/her decision within seven calendar days. If the decision reached requires change in an official University record, the faculty member must comply with all University regulations and procedures necessary to accomplish the change.

A change of grade is accomplished by filing a "Grade Correction Report." A satisfactory reason for the change is "academic appeal." The department chair and/or the student's dean (dean of the college in which the student is enrolled) may request documentation of the facts of the matter to facilitate any decision with respect to approval of the grade change.

2. If the matter is not resolved between the student and the faculty member, and the student wishes to pursue the appeal, he or she shall make a written request to the chair of the department in which the course was taught asking for a meeting of the department chair, the faculty member, and himself or herself. The faculty member will provide the name of the appropriate department chair. The written request should clearly state the purpose of the meeting and should indicate the faculty member's name; however, it should not go into detail as to justification for the appeal. This request must be submitted within 45 calendar days after the first day of classes of the next regular semester.

The department chair shall arrange a meeting within 14 calendar days from the date of receipt of the request. At this meeting, both the student and the faculty member may be accompanied by a counselor. At the close of the meeting, or within seven calendar days thereafter, the department chair shall make a decision. If a decision is made at the close of the meeting, it is to be given orally to all present. If the matter is taken under advisement, the department chair shall inform all parties, including the student's dean, of his or her decision in writing. If the decision reached requires change in an official University record, the faculty member must comply with all University regulations and procedures necessary to accomplish the change.

3. If the student is not satisfied with the decision reached, he or she may appeal to the dean of the college in which the department offering the course is located. The dean's name will be furnished by the department chair. Appeals concerning courses numbered 8000 or above should be directed to the dean of the Graduate School.

The student's appeal must be in writing on a Student Appeal Formavailable in department and college offices and must be submitted within 14 calendar days after notification of the department chair's decision. The form must contain the following information: (1) a statement of the action(s) complained of; (2) the relief requested; and (3) a specific statement of the reasons supporting the relief sought.

Upon receipt of the completed Student Appeal Form, the dean must promptly forward copies to the department chair and faculty member concerned, who must promptly reply with individual written statements supporting their previous actions. Either may request that a hearing panel be convened. Copies of the written replies must be forwarded to the student.

When the department chair's and faculty member's replies have been received, the student may choose one--and only one--of the following options: (1) The dean may decide the question on the basis of the written appeal and the faculty member's and department chair's written requests; (2) The dean may meet with all parties concerned, who may be accompanied by counselors if desired, and, after discussion, reach a decision; or (3) The dean may refer the appeal to a hearing panel for its recommendation.

If a hearing panel has been requested by the student, the faculty member, or the department chair, the dean must convene such a panel.

Hearing panels to consider grade appeals will be appointed by the dean and shall be composed of three faculty members selected by the dean, with no more than two from the same department, and two students appointed by the president of the college's student governing body. The dean should designate the chair of the panel.

The panel shall hold a hearing with the department chair, the faculty member, and the student, each of whom may be accompanied by a counselor. After deliberation, the panel will make its recommendation in writing to the dean. Copies of the recommendation, and the dean's final decision, must be given to all parties, including the student's dean.

Regardless of the method used, the dean must make his or her decision within 30 calendar days from the date of receipt of the student's appeal. The decision must be written, listing the reasons supporting the decision; copies must be given to all parties, including the student's dean. If the decision requires change in an official University record, the faculty member must comply with all University regulations and procedures necessary to accomplish the change.

4. If any party to the appeal believes that a serious procedural error occurred or that there was an abuse of discretionary authority in reaching the decision, he or she may file with the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost a written petition for review. This petition, which must be filed within seven calendar days after receipt of the decision in step
3, must contain a complete statement of the alleged serious procedural error, or examples of abuses of discretionary authority complained of, and also must contain reasons for the relief sought. The petition must be accompanied by all documents produced in the appeal. Copies should be sent to all parties to the appeal and to the student's dean.

The Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost shall decide within 14 calendar days after receipt of the petition whether further action should be taken. In reaching this decision, he or she may ask other parties to the appeal to make written reply to the request for a review, or these parties, on their own, may make a written reply. If the decision is reached that a review is not justified, the student and all other parties, including the student's dean, will be so notified.

If the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost decides to respond favorably to the petition for review, he or she will hold a formal meeting with all parties and their counselors, if desired, and reach a decision based on discussions at this meeting, as well as on all written materials furnished.

Once a decision is reached, the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost will notify all parties, including the student's dean, of his or her decision. The decision of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost shall conclude the matter, subject to the right of the Chancellor to review the case. The Chancellor will consider the case only on the basis of a petition for review following the procedure outlined above.

Appeal of Academic
Ineligibility To Enroll

An undergraduate student dropped from the University because of scholastic deficiency may appeal the ineligibility based on extenuating circumstances. Such appeals must be submitted to the student's dean at least seven calendar days prior to the beginning of the semester/summer term in which the students wishes to enroll. The appeal should be in the form of a letter to the dean, accompanied by documentation of the extenuating circumstances.

Appeals may be reviewed by the dean or, at the option of the dean, by a college committee established for that purpose. In the latter case, the committee will make a recommendation to the dean. Final authority in the college rests with the dean. If the appeal is approved:

• the student is eligible to enroll at LSU on academic probation for the next semester/ term;

• the dean may set conditions based on the student's situation, which may include specific academic requirements the student must meet. The student will be informed of any conditions in writing;

• the student's transcript will carry a notation that the student was dropped but reinstated, based on appeal.

If the dean denies the appeal, the student may submit it to the Office of Academic Affairs for review, along with a statement of the reasons why the Office of Academic Affairs should consider the appeal. Final authority rests with the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost.


The Handbook

The students, faculty, and staff of LSU have jointly produced The Louisiana State University Handbook of Rights and Responsibilities in the Student-University Relationship.This Handbook was promulgated by the Office of the Chancellor to assist students, faculty, and staff to better understand the rights and responsibilities of the student and the University in relation to one another. All members of the University community are encouraged to become familiar with this Handbook. Copies may be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Students or the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Academic Services.

Code of Student Conduct

Disciplinary procedures for students who exhibit severe breaches of conduct can result in the students' separation from the University or in other disciplinary action, as outlined in the Code of Student Conduct. Students charged with violations of conduct listed in the Code of Student Conduct are provided a due process administrative hearing with the Dean of Students or a hearing before a panel of the Committee on Student Conduct composed of faculty members, students, and administrators.

Other Rules and Regulations

The University issues and publishes other rules and regulations governing student activities, conduct, and student organizations. Certain responsibilities for assisting the University in the administration of these rules and regulations are delegated to student boards, councils, and courts.

It is the responsibility of all students to familiarize themselves with the Code of Student Conduct and other University rules and regulations governing student conduct and activities.

The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Academic Services has administrative responsibility for coordinating all University disciplinary procedures and practices for students.