When to Apply: Now – January 6, 2019 @ 11:59 pm
Now in its 30th year, Leadership LSU is an LSU tradition coordinated by LSU Campus Life on behalf of the LSU Office of the Dean of Students. With space for up to 50 students, it is designed to give students the experience of developing and applying their leadership at high levels while in their final semesters at LSU.
Participants chosen for Leadership LSU 2019 exhibit the capacity to learn and impact others positively through their leadership experiences. Active participation in Leadership LSU will challenge students to sharpen leadership skills and abilities, regardless of career choice.
Participation in Leadership LSU is a recognition of applicants' leadership. However, it carries with it an expectation that chosen participants will commit to learning from others and to positively impacting others through the program. Active participation is a must for this experience.
Students must have earned at least 61 academic credit hours (Junior classification) before the Spring 2019 semester in order to participate in the program. The program is open to all LSU Juniors, Seniors, Graduate Students, Law Center Students and Veterinary Medicine students. National Student Exchange and International Student Exchange students are welcomed and encouraged to participate in Leadership LSU.
At the end of a students' participation in Leadership LSU, they will be able to:
- Identify adaptive leadership challenges, including those on campus and beyond the LSU campus community.
- Articulate how a leader might begin to address complex, social issues with others members of a community.
- Predict how adaptive leadership experiences may present opportunities for your future career, educational, service and personal responsibilities and growth.
- Support other members of their Leadership LSU peer network well in their continued leadership preparation and service.
To be eligible for the program, students must:
- Apply as an LSU student with at least 61 undergraduate credit hours or more.
- Have and maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
- Be deemed eligible to participate by the Office of Student Advocacy and Accountability / Office of the Dean of Students.
- Have demonstrated a strong commitment to involvement in campus and community organizations and activities, as well as articulate the values of the Commitment to Community, and a commitment to learning more about your own leadership.
- Have a recommendation letter submitted on your behalf from a faculty member, staff member, advisor or mentor who can speak to your leadership abilities.
- Agree to the date and time participation requirements of Leadership LSU including:
- the opening retreat scheduled for Friday, January 25 at 5:00pm until Saturday, January 26 at 5:00pm;
- attendance at each Friday morning 9:30am - 11:30 session (Feb. 1 and 15; and, March 1, 15 and 29; and April 5);
- the Geaux BIG Baton Rouge event on Saturday, March 23, 2019 (raindate: Sat. March 30);
- the closing bruncheon/luncheon on Saturday, April 6, 2019.
Attendance at each of these Leadership LSU events is mandatory unless excused by a Leadership LSU staff member. Students should understand that excuses are not granted for multiple absences. Students should plan their classes not to overlap with Friday 9:30am to 11:30am sessions.
Students who complete the Leadership LSU experience will be recognized in a variety of ways, including:
- Class of 2019 recognition on the LSU Campus Life website throughout the Spring 2018 semester.
- Recognition of individual students and Leadership LSU Class of 2019 at the closing luncheons with invited guests of the individual students.
- Class of 2019 recognition in a full page ad in the LSU Daily Reveille near the end of the Spring 2019 semester.
- Press releases with information about selected students prior to May 2019 Commencement.
- Optional: Leadership LSU students may purchase a Leadership LSU 2019 stole to be worn at any LSU Commencement ceremony (departmental, etc.) except for the main Commencement exercise each semester. In previous years, these stoles have cost around $40 each. More specific information about stoles and their expected costs will be shared with selected students in February 2019.
There are no costs to apply or to participate in Leadership LSU.
Now – January 6, 2019 @ 11:59 pm