Entrepreneurship Fellows Program
Entrepreneurs embrace new ways of thinking. Where others see only challenges, they see opportunities. Entrepreneurs are fueled by passion. Some are driven to start businesses; others spark ingenuity within an existing workplace. No matter which path they choose, all entrepreneurs contribute to sustained economic growth.
To grow the stream of talented entrepreneurs willing to start new businesses and innovate within existing ones, the Stephenson Department of Entrepreneurship & Information Systems offers the Entrepreneurship Fellows Program. This program fosters entrepreneurial-minded students by providing an intensive, high-quality educational experience to a select cohort of undergraduate and graduate students at LSU, regardless of their major.
Fellows meet business leaders from across the region and are exposed to the entrepreneur networks that are vital to dynamic economies. Fellows also are encouraged to become active participants in regional economic development efforts and are taught to apply principles of entrepreneurship wherever they are needed, from high-tech startups to established firms, to nonprofit organizations. Fellows are expected to embrace the entrepreneurial mindset and be ambassadors for entrepreneurship at LSU.
Benefits of the Program
- Certificate program in entrepreneurship and innovation
- Networking events with industry and community leaders
- Speaker series and annual symposia
- Site visits to regional companies and institutes
- Opportunities for business consulting experience
- Completion of a three-credit hour course (ENTR 4035, meeting Wednesdays from 6 – 9 p.m. during Spring 2021 ; scheduled for Tuesdays from 6 – 9 p.m. during Fall 2021)
- Attendance at guest speaker presentations
- Participation in site visits to regional companies and institutes
- Attendance at select SEI, E. J. Ourso College of Business, and LSU networking events with industry and community leaders
- In addition, although not required, students are strongly encouraged to participate in LSU’s Venture Challenge business plan competition during their Fellows tenure
The application period for Spring 2021 is closed. Applications for Fall 2021 Fellows’ Cohort will accepted March 8, 2021 to April 24, 2021.
This program is not limited to business students. Any student with a strong interest in innovation and entrepreneurship will be considered. Previous fellows have majored in agriculture, engineering (all disciplines), computer science, psychology, political science, textiles, as well as a variety of business majors.
Students are expected to incorporate their knowledge from prior academic and work experiences within the Fellows curriculum. Additionally, enrollment in other entrepreneurship courses is encouraged. For undergraduates, this includes minoring or majoring in entrepreneurship. Graduate students are encouraged to enroll in an entrepreneurship area of specialization such as the one offered by the Flores MBA Program.
Admission to the Entrepreneurship Fellows Program is limited to a select number of exceptional students with a passion for entrepreneurship and who meet all academic program enrollment requirements. Students will be accepted in the program on a rolling basis to ensure that they can incorporate the required course (ENTR 4035) into their Spring schedule. The application deadline for the Spring 2021 semester, however, is December 1 , 2020.
Requirements for Fall 2021 Semester
- Completed application
- Résumé detailing work experience, credentials, current GPA, honors or awards received during high school or college submitted via email to Danny Holt.
- A personal statement (500-700 words) describing your interest in the Stephenson Entrepreneurship Fellows Program including compelling reasons for selection and description of ambitions and career plan.
See the application form for complete submission instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Following a review of applications, a select number of students will be invited for personal interviews. Those selected for interviews will be notified via email.