- PhD Economics, University of Montreal, 2014
- BBA Applied Economics, HEC Montreal, 2007
- MA Economics, University of British Columbia, 2008
- Teaching Interests: Microeconomics, Labor & Public Economics
- Research Interests: Applied Microeconomics, Labor Economics, Public Economics, Political Economy, Education, Health
Selected Research Publications
- Beland, L. and Unel, B. (2019). Politics And Entrepreneurship In The U.S. Canadian Journal of Economics, 52(1).
- Beland, L. and Brent, D. A. (2018). Traffic and Crime. Journal of Public Economics, 160, 96-116.
- Beland, L. and Unel, B. (2018). Governors' Party Affiliation And Unions. Industrial Relations, 57(2), 177-205.
- Beland, L. and Unel, B. (2018). Impact Of Party Affiliation Of U.S. Governors On Immigrants' Labor-Market Outcomes. Journal of Population Economics, 31, 627-670.
- Beland, L. and Oloomi, S. (2017). Party Affiliation and Public Spending. Economic Inquiry, 55(2), 982-995.
- Beland, L. and Kim, D. (2016). The Effect of High School Shootings on Schools and Student Performance. Educational Evaluation And Policy Analysis, 38(1), 113-126.
- Beland, L. and Murphy, R. (2016). Ill Communication: Technology, Distraction and Student Performance. Labour Economics, 41, 61 76.
- Beland, L. and Boucher, V. (2015). Polluting Politics. Economics Letters, 137, 176 181.
- Beland, L. (2015). Political Parties And Labor Market Outcomes. Evidence From U.S. States. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 7(4), 198-220.
- Internet; The New York Times; Stuck and Stressed: The Health Costs of Traffic; 2019
Employed by LSU since
August 18, 2014