The Office of Business Student Success (OBSS) offers students a comprehensive collection of services for educational and professional development. Our goal is to provide students with the tools they need to succeed academically and professionally so they can be prepared to enter the workforce in careers that are well matched to their talents, interests, and values. OBSS offers:
- Academic advising and counseling
- Information sessions and tours for high school students
- Scholarship opportunities
- Business Residential College programming
- Diversity programming
- Study Abroad programming
- Career coaching and resume review
- Internship advising
- Communication and professional development courses
A New York Times article states that students rarely think about academic counseling until that frantic moment when they need someone to sign forms for next semester's classes or they are not able to register for a class needed for graduation. The author concludes that the cost of bad academic planning is considerable: "Take the wrong class to satisfy a requirement and you may not have enough credits to graduate on time. Withdraw from a course and you may put financial aid in jeopardy because you aren't taking enough credits."
In the E. J. Ourso College of Business, we offer undergraduate degrees in nine major disciplines, plus minors, and concentrations in additional areas. All programs are based on coursework that includes prerequisites that must be taken in succession. While it sounds complex and potentially confusing, you will not travel this road alone.
Academic Services is here to help. Our counselors understand the curriculum and can help chart an academic path that suits your needs. If you want to graduate in four years, we can help you with a strategy to meet your goal. If you are working while attending school and need to design a plan that works around your schedule, we can help with that too.
The OBSS Professional Development staff compliment the academic advising staff by helping you reach your career goals. We work together with the Olinde Career Center to develop tailored employer opportunities while promoting Careers2Geaux as the one-stop shop for internships, full-time and part-time jobs, and career events on campus.
Our focus is helping you land in the right career. We can provide information necessary to make critical decisions, invite you to attend professional development events and career fairs, encourage you to join a student organization that will add to your network, and get you in front of potential employers.
One of our biggest new initiatives is to promote internships that allow you to see an industry from an insider's perspective, leading to better career choices.
The E. J. Ourso College of Business International Experience develops the following programs to increase your international experiences:
- Programs for LSU business faculty and students to participate in cultural and academic exchanges with faculty and students in the world's leading universities
- Curriculum development to educate and prepare future global business leaders
- Research and develop best practices of our global economy to publish in leading global business research journals
- LSU non-business faculty and students add a different perspective when participating in global business programs
- Academic outreach in promoting international business education in Louisiana in order to cultivate more entrepreneurial potential
- Business outreach in helping Louisiana-based companies to build international skills and grow globally
Some of these programs are sponsored and organized by the College of Business, some come from other areas within the LSU community, and some come from third parties. International travel and study are beneficial to a business education; we encourage you to find a program that works for you.
LSU has a major initiative called our Flagship Agenda that lays out who we want to be and how to achieve our identity as a top university. Diversity is listed as being critical to our success. We aspire to strengthen the intellectual environment by:
- Increasing diversity among faculty, staff and students
- Increasing the number of students who work with or live in diverse communities
- Expanding supportive communities for underrepresented students
Diversity is important to both LSU and the E. J. Ourso College of Business. But what does this mean to you as an individual?
It means that you will find a welcoming space where you will be supported and celebrated as an individual. In short, you can be you.
As the corporate world faces global demographic changes, we actively embrace diversity and help to build an inclusive campus culture. The college emphasizes the recruitment and retention of unconventionally diverse students, staff, and faculty and provides an environment free of intolerance or discrimination.
Diversity & Inclusion staff help ensure that the E. J. Ourso College reflects the diversity of its many students and that all individuals feel welcome and equal.