Revised Crash Report Manual Posted
BATON ROUGE - In response to user comments, suggestions and guidance from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the Manual for Use of the State of Louisiana Uniform Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Report has been revised.
After an extensive review, edits were made by a revision task force led by the Louisiana
Traffic Records Coordinating Committee. This committee included representatives from
the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission (LHSC), the Louisiana Department of Transportation
and Development (DOTD), the Louisiana State Police, City Police Officers, and Sheriff’s
Deputies from across Louisiana.
Investigators will notice that the general verbiage and outline of the Manual has not changed. There are some significant changes and/or clarifications that include:
- New injury definitions to help become compliant with NHTSA’s National Definition for Serious Injuries.
- New definitions for Driver Condition, Work Zones, Intersections, Median Openings, RCUTs, (J-Turns), and Roundabouts.
- Explanation has been provided for estimates of CMV Weight and “Manner of Collision”.
- Additional diagrams help further illustrate relevant information.
- A narrative outline format and sample narratives.
- Investigators will notice detailed explanations and examples throughout the manual.
The Crash Report Manual was created to assist the investigator in the field. The latest revision was made to give investigators greater clarity when completing the Crash Report. The Crash Manual is available online.
About the Highway Safety Research Group
The Highway Safety Research Group (HSRG) is responsible for collecting, maintaining, storing, analyzing, and distributing crash-related data captured from law enforcement and other agencies throughout the state of Louisiana. This data is used to perform many research studies and produce an annual fact book. These publications are used by decision-makers in setting policies, projects, and programs to improve the safety of our state's roadways. HSRG is a division of the Stephenson Department of Entrepreneurship & Information Systems within the E. J. Ourso College of Business at Louisiana State University.
Highway Safety Research Group