V. Carlos Slawson Jr.
V. Carlos Slawson, Jr., Ph.D., holds the Latter & Blum Distinguished Professorship in Real Estate and is Professor of Finance at the E. J. Ourso College of Business at Louisiana State University. He arrived at LSU in 1995 and served as department chair from 2007 to 2015. He has published in Real Estate Economics, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Economic Inquiry, and other real estate and economics academic journals. His recent research involves modeling single-family residential securitizations. In 2018 at home plate in Alex Box Stadium, he received the Jacobs Professor of Excellence Award, which is presented by LSU's Cox Communications Academic Center for Student-Athletes.
- PhD Business Administration / Real Estate, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, 1995
- BSBA Accounting, University of Southern Mississippi, 1991
- MBA Business Administration, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, 1992
Selected Research Publications
- Dombrowski, T., Pace, R., Ratnadiwakara, D., and Slawson, Jr., V. (2020). "Deductible Choice in Flood Insurance: Who Chooses the Maximum?". Journal of Housing Research, 29(sup1), S144-S169.
- Slawson, Jr., V., Kau, J. B., Keenan, D. c., and Lyubimov, C. (2012). Assymetric Information in the Subprime Mortgage Market . Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics.
- Slawson, Jr., V., Kau, J. B., Keenan, D. c., and Lyubimov, C. (2011). Subprime Mortgages and Default . Journal of Urban Economics.
- Barondes, R. de R. and Slawson, Jr., V. Carlos (2006). Examining Compliance with Fiduciary Duties: A Study of Real Estate Agents. Oregon Law Review, 84(3), 681-724.
- Sanders, A. B and Slawson, Jr, V. Carlos (2005). Shared Appreciation Mortgages: Lessons from the UK. Journal Of Housing Economics, 14(3), 178-193.
- Kau, J. B and Slawson, Jr., V. (2002). Frictions, Heterogeneity, and Optimality in Mortgage Modeling. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 24(3), 239-260.
- McDonald, C. G and Slawson, Jr, V. Carlos (2002). Reputation in an Internet Auction Market. Economic Inquiry, 40(3), 633-650.
- Kelly, A. and Slawson, Jr., V. (2001). Time-Varying Mortgage Prepayment Penalties. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 23(2), 235-254.
- Munneke, H. J. and Slawson, Jr., V. (1999). A Housing Price Model with Endogenous Externally Location: A Study of Mobile Home Parks. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 19(2), 113-131.
- Hilliard, J. E., Kau, J. B., and Slawson, Jr., V. (1998). Valuing Prepayment and Default in a Fixed-Rate Mortgage: A Bivariate Binomial Options Pricing Technique. Real Estate Economics, 26(3), 431-468.
Professional and Service Activities
- Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Editor, Co-Editor (, 2019)
Employed by LSU since