Wei-Ling Song has been a member of the E.J. Ourso College of Business at Louisiana State University since 2005 and a research fellow of Wharton Financial Institutions Center since 2003. Professor Song's research focuses on how information asymmetry shapes the behavior of players in the financial markets and the roles of these participants in the financial systems. She is interested in the empirical testing of self-selection, signaling, and moral hazard - the games that agents play in the area of finance. Her work on underwriting syndicate formation won the 2002 FMA Competitive Paper Awards in the area of Financial Institutions. She has published articles in the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics, the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Journal of Corporate Finance. Professor Song taught at Drexel University from 1999 to 2005. Her teaching responsibility includes Fundamentals of Financial Analysis, Risk Management, and Financial Institutions and Markets in the MBA Program. She also taught Seminar in Finance, Introduction to Finance, and Financial Management at the undergraduate level. Professor Song has a B.A. in Agricultural Chemistry from National Taiwan University, an M.S. in Food Science, specializing in sensory evaluation and wine, from the University of California, Davis, an MBA in Finance, and an M.A. in Economics and a Ph.D. in Finance from Michigan State University. Prior to attending graduate schools in U.S., Professor Song worked as a TV program hostess and executive producer in Taiwan.
- Ph D Finance, Michigan State University
- BS Agricultural Chemistry, National Taiwan University
- MS Food Science, University of California, Davis
- MBA Finance, Michigan State University
- MA Ecomonics, Michigan State University
- Best Paper, Midwest Finance Association, 2015
- Research Excellence Award, E. J. Ourso College of Business, Louisiana State University, 2012
- Best paper, 2009 NTU International Conference on Economics, Finance, and Accounting, Taipei, Taiwan, 2009
- Financial Management Association, 2002
- Teaching Interests: Corporate Finance, Risk Management, Financial Markets and Institutions, Investments
- Research Interests: Financial Intermediation and Institutions, Corporate Finance and Governance
Selected Research Publications
- Song, W. and Wang, H.Do Institutional Investors Know Banks Better: Evidence from Institutional Trading Surrounding the 2008 Financial Crisis. Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance.
- Song, W. and Wan, K.Does CEO Compensation Reflect Managerial Ability or Managerial Power?Evidence from the Compensation of Powerful CEOs. Journal of Corporate Finance, , 14.
- Song, W. and Wan, K. (2017). Explicit Employment Contracts and CEO Compensation. Journal of Corporate Finance, 44, 540-560.
- Song, W. and Uzmanoglu, C. (2016). TARP Announcement, Bank Health, and Borrowers' Credit Risk. Journal of Financial Stability, 22, 22-32.
- Song, W. and Shivdasani, A. (2011). Breaking Down the Barriers: Competition, Syndicate Structure, and Underwriting Incentives. Journal of Financial Economics, 99, 581-600.
- Song, W. (2004). Competition and Coalition among Underwriters: The Decision to Join a Syndicate. Journal of Finance, 59, 2421-2444.
- Song, W. and Szewczyk, S. H. (2003). Does Coordinated Institutional Investor Activism Reverse the Fortune of Underperforming Firms?'. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 38, 317-336.
- Sanger, G. C., Song, W., and Chen, J. (2018, December). The Relationship Insurance Role of Financial Conglomerates: Evidence from Earnings Announcements. Presented at Journal of Corporate Finance (JCF) Special Issue Conference sponsored by Journal of Corporate Finance, Hong Kong.
- Sanger, G. C, Song, W., Hu, ., and Chen, J. (2018, November). The Market Microstructure Effects of Bank Equity Holdings. Presented at Southern Finance Association sponsored by Southern Finance Association, Asheville, NC.
- Chen, J., Sanger, G. C., and Song, W. (2013, November). The Relationship Insurance Role of Financial Conglomerates:. Presented at Southern Finance Association sponsored by Southern Finance Association, Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Allen, F. and Song, W. (2003). Venture Capital and Corporate Governance In Peter K. Cornelius and Bruce Kogut (Ed.), Corporate Governance and Capital Flows in a Global Economy (pp. 133-156). New York: Oxford University Press.
Employed by LSU since