Frequently Asked Questions

The Executive Vice President and Provost is the chief operating officer and the chief academic officer of the University. He/she acts as chief administrative officer in the absence of the President. The Executive Vice President and Provost represents the Office of the President on both internal and external matters. Specific duties and responsibilities include:

  • Hold membership on all faculties of the University.
  • Serve as Secretary of the Faculty Council.
  • Execute all regulations, policies, rules, directives, and memoranda dealing with academic matters at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
  • Work closely with faculty bodies such as the Faculty Senate to develop academic policy and maintain standards.
  • Work closely with faculty, staff, and students to ensure the recruitment, retention, and graduation of a highly qualified student body.
  • Superintend the University’s efforts in assessment and be responsible for developing policies and programs to ensure that the University is fully accountable in all aspects of its operations.
  • Execute personnel actions and/or make recommendations to the President as delegated concerning all employees assigned to the units reporting to the Executive Vice President and Provost.
  • Work closely with deans to ensure the recruitment, development, and retention of an excellent faculty.
  • Make recommendations to the President concerning the organization of the University and the duties and responsibilities of the vice presidents, deans and directors.
  • Chair the Budget Committee, prepare its recommendations for submission to the President.
  • Work in tandem with the Vice President for Finance and Administrative Services to prepare and monitor the operating budget of the University.
  • Supervise additions, deletions, and changes in courses and curricula, and, through the President, report such changes to the Board of Supervisors and the Board of Regents as necessary.
  • Call and preside over meetings of the Council of Academic Deans and Directors.
  • Make recommendations to the President concerning the academic calendar of the University.
  • Assume responsibility for the content of the General Catalog and other academic publications, including those of the several colleges and departments.
  • Meet with the Council of Chief Academic Officers of the LSU System to advise the President on academic standards, programs, and policies
  • Adjudicate academic and student appeals and grievances that properly come before him/her.
  • Adjudicate questions of jurisdiction among units reporting to him/her.
  • Serve, or be represented, on all campus-wide committees and councils that deliberate on the teaching, research, and service functions of the University.
  • Exercise responsibility for space allocation.
  • Serve as the campus liaison with the Vice President for Administration and Facility Planning on construction projects of an academic nature.
  • Monitor and execute salary policy on a campus-wide basis.
  • Coordinate the University’s PS (Policy Statement) system.
  • Act for the President in the control of the title, position, and salary control system of the University.
  • Assist the President in maintaining liaison with the executive and legislative branches of state government.

The Dean’s Council provides guidance and advice to the Executive Vice President and Provost on issues related to delivering the academic mission of the University. The Executive Vice President and Provost serves as the Chair. Other regular members include college deans.  Vice Presidents, Vice Provosts and other administrative leadership serve as ex officio members.

The University Planning Council (UPC) is a representative body of elected and ex officio members having jurisdiction over educational policy, rules, and regulations. View a current list of UPC members.

Open positions at the university are posted on "Jobs at LSU" website.

The APIC meets regularly to investigate suggestions made to streamline administrative and operational processes within the various academic and administrative offices at LSU.  Visit the APIC website to submit a recommendation or suggestion for process improvement on campus.

Those wishing to nominate someone to receive an honorary doctorate must first seek approval from the alumnus’s degree granting college.

If the Dean supports the nomination, the Dean’s office solicits meritorious letters of support and submits the dossier to the Provost’s Office.

Usually in the spring, the Provost convenes an ad hoc committee to review the nominations and forwards his/her recommendations to the President for final approval.  

Full-time academic employees at the rank of Instructor (or equivalent) or above, who have completed six years of service without having received leave with pay, may petition for sabbatical leave for study and research, the object of which is to enable them to increase their professional efficiency and usefulness to the University.

HRM provides information relevant to the sabbatical process for HR Contacts, departments, and colleges. If further information is needed, please call the Office of Human Resource Management at 225-578-8200 or email

Forms and resources for the Sabbatical process:

Faculty desiring additional space to better meet the academic mission of the University should complete a space request form then submit it to the department and college for review and endorsement.

Once all parties have approved the request, it is then submitted to Senior Vice Provost Jane Cassidy at for approval. If approved, the request is routed to Planning, Design and Construction for implementation.

Space Request Form

Students may appeal to the Office of Academic Affairs when their appeal either pertains to a semester over one year ago or when their appeal has already been denied by their college/ school or appropriate unit.  The most frequent types of appeals that are submitted pertain to final grades, academic rules or regulations, or a student’s residence classification. 

For more information on student appeals and, specifically, how to begin the appeal process, please contact Frances Martinez at 225-578-3142.

Ms. Rebecca Caire handles student appeals for the Office of Academic Affairs and she may be reached at


Still have questions, please email us!