LSU Department of Accounting Offering Tax Assistance as VITA Site
BATON ROUGE – The LSU E. J. Ourso College of Business Department of Accounting is operating a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance site, along with the Internal Revenue Service, to provide help to those who qualify this tax season. The tax service is open to anyone, not just those affiliated with LSU.
Letti Lowe-Ardoin, an instructor in the accounting department, teaches a service-learning income tax class at LSU.
“Tax preparation services for those making $51,000 or less are free,” Lowe-Ardoin said. “Returns will be filed electronically.”
The VITA site will be in the LSU Facility Services Cafeteria on CEBA Lane. Appointments are preferred. Hours of operation are as follows:
Feb. 1–April 10
- Tuesdays, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. (Exception: Closed 3/4)
- Wednesdays, 3 p.m.-9 p.m. (Exception: Closed 3/5)
- Thursdays, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (Exceptions: Closed 3/1 and 3/29)
Below is a list of items that are needed when visiting the VITA site to receive tax preparation:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and your dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement for W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend from banks (forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax id number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer ID Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
To make an appointment, call the LSU Department of Accounting at 225-578-6202. For more information about VITA, visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/IRS-Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-Programs.
The Department of Accounting at LSU’s E. J. Ourso College of Business strives for excellence in teaching, research and service to the accounting profession. With a mission of producing graduates at all levels who excel in their pursuits, the department offers undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare students for careers in various fields, including industry, auditing, finance, government and academia.