LSU Board Holds December Meeting
BATON ROUGE – The LSU Board of Supervisors voted Friday to eliminate the position of chancellor of LSU, with its duties carried over to the position of LSU president, effective when the next president of LSU takes office.
The board reaffirmed a previous vote on the measure, ensuring compliance with Louisiana open meetings laws.
The board also confirmed a 10-member Transition Advisory Team, which will serve as an information gathering group during the LSU reorganization process. The first meeting of the Transition Advisory team will be on Dec. 19. For more information on the makeup of the team, visit http://www.lsu.edu/ur/ocur/lsunews/MediaCenter/News/2012/11/item55125.html.
Additionally, the board approved James Oxley as a Boyd Professor, the university’s highest faculty honor. Oxley is the LSU System’s 70th Boyd Professor, and the 45th from the LSU main campus. A math professor at LSU for more than 30 years, Oxley is an international expert on an intricate mathematical theory, which is used by electrical engineers to help computer networks run better. More information on Oxley is available at http://www.lsusystem.edu/index.php/2012/12/07/lsu-mathematician-named-boyd-professor/.
Among the personnel actions approved by the board, Robert Kuhn, vice provost and associate vice chancellor for the Office of Budget and Planning, was named interim vice chancellor for finance and administrative services and chief financial officer at LSU to replace Eric Monday, who has accepted a position at the University of Kentucky. Additionally, Tiger Baseball Coach Paul Mainieri’s existing contract was extended until 2017, with no change in compensation.
Other actions taken by the board include:
- Authorization for the System President to approve additional compensation for the Tiger Football post-season, in accordance with existing board policy.
- Approval of the following endowed chairs:
- the Galante Chair in Music Education in the College of Music and Dramatic Arts and
- the Oskar Menton Chair of Electrical Engineering in the College of Engineering.
- Approval of lease agreements between the board and the Tiger Athletic Foundation for construction of renovations on the following projects:
- Tiger Stadium’s east and west side windows;
- improvements to the Tutorial Center, Room 204 Gym Armory Building, benefitting the Cox Communications Academic Center for Student Athletes;
- additional parking at Alex Box Stadium and Tiger Park; and
- the LSU Tennis Complex.
- Approval of the purchase of South Campus property from the LSU Property Foundation.
- Approval of an interagency agreement with the Coastal Protection & Restoration Authority and the Division of Administration for the construction of a river modeling facility and, and approval of the schematic design and exterior elevations.
- Approval of schematic design for exterior elevations renovation of the engineering shops for the LSU School of Art.
- Approval of a schematic design for exterior elevations of facility expansion and additions to the University Recreation Center.
- Approval of a recommendation to name the student media lab at the E. J. Ourso College of Business the “Brenda and Gregory Hamer, Sr. Family Student Media Lab.”
- Approval of a recommendation to name an office in the E. J. Ourso College of Business the “Gordon and Teri Leblanc Office.”