LSU Board of Supervisors Terminates System President Lombardi
BATON ROUGE – The LSU Board of Supervisors decided to terminate System President John Lombardi at the board’s April meeting. Board Chair Hank Danos explained that with Lombardi’s contract set to expire at the end of the year, board members felt it would be best to expedite the process of finding the university system’s next leader.
Lombardi will be placed on administrative leave for the remainder of the year, and William Jenkins will serve as interim president while the board appoints a search committee. Jenkins previously served as system president prior to Lombardi’s appointment in 2007.
Also on the board’s agenda was approval of a proposed addition to Tiger Stadium. The board approved a cooperative endeavor and lease agreement with Tiger Athletic Foundation for improvements to the South Endzone of the stadium, which will include a new upper deck and up to 60 additional luxury suites and 3,000 additional club seats. Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Joe Alleva explained, while showing off artist renderings and a schematic design, that the new addition satisfies fan demand for increased seating, will improve the stadium’s aesthetics and will also add to the Tiger fan experience with two high-definition video boards.
“The money generated by this will pay for itself,” Alleva explained, adding that the additional revenue the stadium addition would generate would not only fund the expansion, but eventually pay for additional facilities for the university tennis and gymnastics teams.
Along with approval of the plans for the new addition, the board approved recommendations to give name recognition to donors for some portions of the addition, such as:
- The “H.F. ‘Hank’ Anderson Gate”
- The “Dupree Family (Cindy Dupree Coffey, Suzan Dupree Simpson and Linda Dupree Dowling) Gate”
- The “Janice and Lee Boothby Gate”
- The “Ron Neal and Frank ‘Billy’ Harrison Families Gate”
- The “Frierson Family (Archer Frierson, Tannie Frierson, John Frierson and Chris Frierson) Gate”
- The “Art Sample and Knighton Sample Families Gate”
In addition, the board received a written report of LSU’s commitment plan to LSU-Shreveport, in which the university will share six degree programs and eight certificate programs with the Shreveport campus.
The board also named Eric Ravmussin of the LSU Pennington Biomedical Research Center as the LSU System’s 19th active Boyd Professor. Ravmussin, holder of the Douglas L. Gordon Endowed Chair in Diabetes and Metabolism at Pennington, has been with the research center since 2000.
The board recognized members Rod West, Laura Leach, Tony Falterman, Alvin Kimble, Jack Andonie, Stanley Jacobs and John George, whose terms as board members expire in June. Board of Supervisors members are appointed by the governor and approved by the Louisiana Legislature.
Other actions of the board included:
- Approval of degrees to be conferred at the spring and summer 2012 commencement exercises.
- Approval of a recommendation to lease land on LSU’s South Campus to the Baton Rouge Speech and Hearing Foundation.
- Approval of a recommendation to name the band rehearsal room in the new Band Hall Complex the “Bert and Sue Turner Tiger Band Rehearsal Room.”
- Approval of a recommendation to name the IT Help Desk in the new Business Education Complex the “John L. ‘Trey’ Daniel III IT Help Desk.”
- Approval of a recommendation to name the Real Estate Research Institute Suite in the new Business Education Complex the “Robert D. Svendson Real Estate Research Institute Suite.”