LSU Board of Supervisors Holds March Meeting
BATON ROUGE – The LSU Board of Supervisors selected its future chair on Friday, March 16, as Robert “Bobby” Yarborough of Baton Rouge was selected as chair-elect for the 2012-2013 term. Yarborough will succeed Garrett “Hank” Danos as chair of the board in 2013. Danos, the previous chair-elect, assumed the chairmanship in December when Benjamin Mount passed away. Per board regulations, Danos will finish Mount’s term this summer and then serve his own term as chair.
System Chief Financial Officer Wendy Simoneaux briefed the board on current budget projections based on Gov. Bobby Jindal’s proposed executive budget and the distribution of the state’s higher-education appropriation from the Board of Regents.
LSU will be awarding a pair of honorary doctorates during this May’s commencement ceremonies, as the board approved a recommendation to present doctor of humane letters degrees to Mary Lou Applewhite and Sean Reilly.
Applewhite, an LSU alumna, was one of the first women to pursue a medical career in Louisiana during the 1950s, “serving as an inspiration to colleagues and paving the way for future generations of professionals,” her nomination read. She has also been a long-time supporter of the university through the LSU Alumni Association, the LSU Foundation and the LSU College of Science’s Dean’s Circle.
Reilly, the chief executive officer of the Lamar Advertising Company, is a former state representative from Baton Rouge. He was nominated by campus leaders for his participation in numerous civic organizations; for his support of the Manship School of Mass Communication; and for being chair of Louisiana’s Flagship Coalition, a private group of business leaders that lobbied for some of the freedoms LSU earned from the LA GRAD Act.
The board also approved a recommendation to reallocate excess bond proceeds from the LSU Student Union Theatre project to fund additional renovations and updates for the Union, as well as a lease agreement for the construction of phase two of renovations to the University Lab School’s band and choir facilities.
Other actions of the board included:
- Approval of a request to sell a strip of property at Burden Center to the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development for the purpose of widening Essen Lane
- Approval of a recommendation to name a pavilion in the new Business Education Complex the “Cherie and Rob Arkley Pavilion”
- Approval of a recommendation to name a workroom in the new Business Education Complex the “Pat Hewlett Bodin Department of Information Systems and Decision Sciences Workroom”
- Approval of a recommendation to name the new foyer in the New Band Hall the “Bill and Shelby Conti Foyer”
- Approval of a recommendation to name the Undergraduate Reception Area in the new Business Education Complex the “Gerald and Teri Fontenot Undergraduate Program Reception Area”
- Approval of a recommendation to name the softball observation deck at Tiger Park the “Yvette Girouard Observation Deck”
- Approval of the naming of the “Moran Family Center for Athletic Administration”
- Approval of the following endowed professorships:
- Dale R. Carver Professorship in Engineering Science in the College of Engineering, $60,000.
- Mike N. Dooley, P. E., Professorship in Civil and Environmental Engineering in the College of Engineering, $60,000.
- Patricia Hewlett Bodin Distinguished Professorship in the College of Science, $60,000.