LSU’s Department of Kinesiology Holds End-of-Year Reception
BATON ROUGE – The LSU College of Education’s Department of Kinesiology hosted a reception in honor of its scholarship donors, community partners and student award scholarship recipients on Dec. 1. The reception followed an awards ceremony held in Tiger Stadium’s Lawton Room auditorium and was emceed by Wanda Hargroder, assistant professor of professional practice in the Department of Kinesiology.
The Premier Scholar Award is conferred upon one student in each LSU kinesiology concentration who most demonstrates exemplary scholarship, service and leadership. The college’s Premier Scholars award recipients are:
- Stephanie Bloss of Thibodeaux – Sport Administration
- Raymond Champagne of Houma – Athletic Training
- Claire Daunis of River Ridge – K-12 Physical Education
- Dustin Drewes of Chalmette – Fitness Studies
- Eleni Maskas of DeRidder – Human Movement
Scholarship winners and the scholarships they earned include:
- Kelsey Bradbury of Metairie – the Gerry Owens Scholarship in Kinesiology
- Kyrie Deslatte of Lafayette – the Jinks Coleman Memorial Scholarship
- Courtney Foret of Harahan – the Harry Rabenhorst Memorial Scholarship
- Elizabeth Hughs of Madisonville – the Lea Thomas Memorial Scholarship
- Nathan Macaluso of River Ridge – the Robert and Irene Cosgrove Scholarship
- Cailidh Pederson of Covington – the Judy Bhatia Memorial Scholarship
Ram Bhatia and Ari Fisher, donors to the LSU Foundation for the benefit of the College of Education kinesiology scholarships, were in attendance. Bhatia supports the Judy Bhatia Memorial Scholarship Fund and Fisher supports the Harry Rabenhorst Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Community partners who donate their time, leadership, activity spaces, or forums for community involvement in experiential and research activities in kinesiology were also in attendance. They include:
- Kyle Woolridge – University Methodist Church
- Antoinette Johnson – Baranco-Clark YMCA
- Calvin Beall – Director of the Leo S. Butler Community Center, Office of the Mayor-President of East Baton Rouge Parish
- Melissa Nauta Harris – Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- Melissa Lupo – Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- Ben Butitta – Pennington Biomedical Research Center
At the reception, donors, partners, students and faculty not only celebrated student excellence and expressed their gratitude to one another but also shared ways kinesiology impacts our community, the importance of community voluntarism and philanthropy and the difference support to academic programs means to the university.
For information about the LSU College of Education Department of Kinesiology, visit http://coe.ednet.lsu.edu/coe//Kinesiology/main.html.
To see a photo gallery, visit http://coe.ednet.lsu.edu/coe//alumni/LSUCOE2011KinesAwardReception.html.