LSU Department of Accounting Offering Tax Assistance
BATON ROUGE –The LSU Department of Accounting has announced that it is sponsoring a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance site, along with the Internal Revenue Service, to provide help to those who qualify this tax season. The tax service is open to anyone, not just those affiliated with LSU.
Letti Lowe-Ardoin, an instructor in the accounting department, teaches an income tax class at LSU that is a service-learning class as well. Her students have been working at the site since Feb. 1, and will continue to do so through April 15.
“The VITA site will assist anyone who earned less than $49,000 last year,” Lowe-Ardoin said. “Tax preparation services offered are free, and returns will be filed electronically.”
Additionally, Lowe-Ardoin stated that refunds can be deposited directly to the recipient’s bank account.
The VITA location is set-up on LSU’s campus in the LSU Facility Services Cafeteria on CEBA Lane. Hours of operation are Tuesdays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Wednesdays, noon-8 p.m.; Thursdays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. and the first Saturday of each month, 9 a.m.-noon.
Below is a list of items that are needed when visiting the VITA site to have taxes prepared:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for the person filing their taxes, their spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letter for the person filing their taxes, their spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for the person filing their taxes, their spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
To make an appointment, call the LSU Department of Accounting at 225-578-6202. For more information about VITA, visit www.irs.gov.
The Department of Accounting at LSU’s E. J. Ourso College of Business strives for excellence in teaching, research and service to the accounting profession. With a mission of producing graduates at all levels who excel in their pursuits, the department offers undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare students for careers in various fields including industry, auditing, finance, government and academia. For more information, visit www.bus.lsu.edu/accounting/, call 225-578-6202 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.