Sexual Assault Resources
Sexual Assault Victims Advocates (SAVAs) are specially trained University personnel who can provide confidential guidance and support to LSU students who have directly experienced interpersonal violence or who want to help a friend in need. Learn more.
The Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program allows any LSU student to have a forensic exam or “sexual assault evidence collection kit” conducted by a SANE nurse. Learn more.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
- Diminished interest or pleasure in your usual activities
- Diminished or increased appetite; weight loss or gain
- Increased need for sleep; having trouble falling asleep; awakening during the night
- Feeling very active, as though you have too much energy; having marked reduction in energy, feeling tired all the time
- Feeling worthless or overly guilty
- Decreased concentration
- Indecisiveness, even about simple things
- Recurrent thoughts of death, but not necessarily feeling suicidal
- Suicidal thoughts, especially if there is a plan
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety
- Pounding heart or increased heart rate without exertion
- Sweating for no reason
- Trembling, shaking
- Feeling short of breath, or as thought you cannot "catch your breath"
- Feeling as though you are choking
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Nausea or abdominal disturbance
- Feeling detached from what's going on around you, as though it were happening and you are watching it happen
- Feeling as though you are losing control or going crazy
- Fear of dying
- Tingling in your hands, feet, or face
A major source of help for LSU students is Mental Health Services at the Student Health Center (578-8774). If a student has private health insurance they might consider seeing a counselor who is covered by their health plan. Or, help can be sought at any one of the agencies listed below.
|LSU Student Health Center||225-578-6271|
|Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center|
|The Phone Crisis Line||225-924-5781 or 225-924-LSU1|
|Baton Rouge Mental Health||225-925-1906|
|Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge||225-924-0123|
|Catholic Community Services||225-336-8700|
|Creating Healthier Campus Community Wellness Education||225-578-5718|