Frequently Asked Questions


How do I use my GI Bill?

To receive your VA educational benefits, you must contact LSU Veterans Affairs, located in the Office of Financial Aid, if you plan on using VA benefits or the National Guard Tuition Exemption.


Am I considered a freshman or a transfer student?

If you have not completed post high school courses, including vocational or technical school courses but excluding military training courses, you will be evaluated as a freshman based on your high school grades and ACT/SAT scores.

If you have completed courses after high school, you will likely be evaluated as a transfer student.


How do I apply?

Your application will be evaluated based on your academic history and likelihood of success at LSU. Your unique experiences and skills will certainly be taken into account when reviewing your admissions application. Our admissions staff with military experience will ensure your service is properly valued.


Does LSU accept CLEP and DANTES courses?

Yes, some credits are accepted and can be seen by clicking here


Does LSU give credit for military training and courses?

Yes, veterans and service members are eligible for one credit hour for every four months of active duty, with a maximum of 12 credit hours for four years of active duty. Additionally, your military transcript will be evaluated, and credit may be awarded. This credit will be awarded on a case-by-case basis for lower level courses. All upper level courses are accepted, excluding duplicates.


I've only taken a few college courses and my high school scores weren't very good. Can I still be considered for admission?

We highly encourage you to submit an application for review and to contact our Veteran & Military Admission counselor. Depending on the amount of credit awarded for active duty and on your military transcript, you may meet the transfer student requirements.


How do I send my military transcript?

Current and former members of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard can send military transcripts through the Joint Service Transcript System. Once logged in, select "Transcripts," then "Official Transcript Request." Search for "Louisiana State," and select online delivery to Louisiana State University-Baton Rouge.

Current and former members of the Air Force must request transcripts through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).

Official transcripts should be mailed to:

LSU Office of Enrollment Management
1146 Pleasant Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803


I don't remember my high school GPA. How do I get it?

You will need to contact your high school and request official transcript to be sent in a sealed envelope to the following address:

LSU Office of Enrollment Management
1146 Pleasant Hall,
Baton Rouge, LA 70803


Am I eligible for in-state tuition?

Act 581 calls for Louisiana public universities to consider the following students as residents for tuition purposes:

  • Veterans who served on active duty for a continuous period of no less than two years, received an honorable discharge and enrolled at a public Louisiana university within one year of discharge
  • Current members of the National Guard or one of the reserve components (Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Navy Reserve, etc.)
  • Veterans with a service-connected disability as determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs


Are my education benefits taxable?

No, any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the IRS.


How do I meet other veterans?

LSU has a chapter of the Student Veterans of America, as well as the Semper Fi Society. The Student Veterans of LSU organization hosts a number of events throughout the semester and monthly lunch meetings. For more information, contact us or Student Veterans of LSU.