Help employers gain insight into your skills and work experience.
- It is always best to use professional references as opposed to family and friends.
- Professional references include supervisors, faculty members, student organization advisors, etc.
- Always follow the lead of the company where you are applying. Do not send references to them unless they are requested. Usually a company will request 3-5 references.
- You must ask individuals if they will serve as your reference before actually listing them.
- You want to use the same format in the of your reference page as used on your résumé. Remember to include your name, address, phone number and e-mail. References can either be aligned to the left or centered down the page.
- Include as much information as possible about your reference including name, title, company name, as well as e-mail, address, and phone number.