Family Experience Monthly Updates
Below are LSU Olinde Career Center excerpts from the monthly Family Experience Newsletter.
November is Career Month in Louisiana!
The LSU Olinde Career Center has 3 suggestions for you to assist your student:
- This month students will be registering for summer and fall classes. If your student is struggling in their major, or not sure where that degree will take them, then it’s time to consider options. The Career Center is here to help with career guidance and assessments accessible on our website or through one-on-one career counseling appointments.
- Did you know employers are now hiring for summer internships and the best opportunities will soon be gone? Have your student save the date for the upcoming Summer Jobs Fair, Tuesday, February 20, 2017. Resources for your student: Students can schedule appointments with our job search coaches for help with finding jobs and internships, resume writing and mock interviews. Or check out Careers2Geaux for job postings, and more.
Is graduate or professional school a possibility? Our staff and web resources can help your student through the self-evaluation and application process to make a great choice.
Check It Out, and Check It Off!
Did you know that your student should be following the Four Year Career Plan? Here are some guidelines for your student to Check It Out and Check It Off for career success:
- Assess - If your student is undecided about a college major or is struggling in a major, now is the time to take action! Career Assessments are available free of charge or for a greatly reduced student rate of $10 each. Career counseling and coaching appointments are free!
- Gain Experience - October is a good time to explore and apply for internships. Yes, it may seem surprising, but many of the best summer internships are scooped up in October and November!
- Develop a Strategy - Students planning to graduate in December or May should be well along the job search path. Our career counselors and coaches offer job search strategy sessions, resume critiques and interview preparation appointments for those entering the job search and a graduate school workshop series for those planning to attend graduate or professional school. The Get into Grad School Workshop Series is open to students at all levels.