At LSU, SIFE has been extremely active since its beginning by implementing, on average, twelve to fifteen service projects per year, both on and off campus. These service projects are centered on the basics of free enterprise: free market economics, personal success skills, entrepreneurship, financial success skills, business ethics, and environmental sustainability. While it would take too long to list all of SIFE’s activities throughout the years, I would like to list what I believe are some of SIFE’s larger accomplishments.
• In the months after Hurricane Katrina, we were asked by SIFE USA to help in the advising stage of “Canadaville”. We assisted and provided advice in creating the business plan for the organic farming operation on this site.
• In 2005-2006, we implemented “Teaching Ethics Across Borders”, a business ethics model that focused on proper ethical behavior in the workplace and how these may differ in different countries. This model was taught in schools across Baton Rouge and Houma, Louisiana, as well as Argentina, Germany, and India. For the project, we were named the National Champion in Business Ethics by SIFE USA.
• For the last five years, we have hosted “Merit Badge Day at LSU”, where, collaborating with the local Boy Scout Council, we invite boy scouts from around the state to come to LSU for a chance to work on merit badges. SIFE’s responsibilities have been to help recruit volunteers to teach badges as well as to teach the business related badges.
• For the last two years, SIFE has been a co-sponsor of the UNPLUG energy competition held in the residence halls on campus. This year, this program was honored by the State of Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality.
• Finally, this year we have partnered with the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank under Campbell’s national “Let’s Can Hunger” program. SIFE has held numerous food drives on campus and organized a food-drive competition among East Baton Rouge Parish public schools.
In the process of implementing SIFE’s projects, we have forged relationships with many local and national companies. These include Campus Federal, CINTAS, J.C. Penney, Hershey’s, Walgreens, CVS, and Enterprise. The representatives from these companies are an integral piece of SIFE’s success. They provide valued guidance and advice to the students for their projects as well as helping our students get off on the right foot in their careers after their time at LSU is completed.