IT Policy Statement Quick Reference
Note: This document provides an overview of some of the topics discussed in IT Policy Statements. However, the document does not cover all topics. Please see www.lsu.edu/itpolicy for additional details on the IT policy development process and all IT polices at LSU.
PS-06.15 Use of Electronic Mail (E-mail)
- Applies to anyone who has an *.lsu.edu address, which is the "official means of electronic communication by the University to faculty, staff, and students..."
- "Accounts and account passwords are not to be sold, rented, transferred, or shared with any other person."
- "Protected institutional and personal information shall not be sent via e-mail, unless specific steps are taken to ensure that the transmission or content of the e-mail is secure and encrypted in accordance with University standards, and the personal information therefore provided this additional level of protection."
- Eligibility to obtain University e-mail accounts (@*.lsu.edu)
- Account retention
- Mail backups, storage, and retention (note: public records or other policies with different retention requirements may also apply)
- Privacy and applicability of laws and policies
PS-06.20 Security of Data
- "Responsibilities of all users in supporting and upholding the security of data at LSU"
- "Protected information will not be disclosed except as provided by University policy and procedures, or as required by operation of law or court order."
- Chart for classification of data as public, private, or confidential
PS-06.25 Privacy of Computing Resources
- Who may and may not access computing resources and data at LSU
- Specifies strict conditions required in order to access computing resources and data outside of day-to-day access
PS-107 Computer Users' Responsibilities
- "Guidelines and restrictions regarding any and all use of computing resources at, for, or through LSU"
- "LSU may limit access to and/or review and monitor its computing resources and the use of computing resources, without notice to or authorization from user(s)"
- Appropriate use, and misuse or abuse and sanctions
PS-114 Security of Computing Resources
- "User(s) within functional unit(s) are required to report any suspected or known security breaches or flaws relating to the security of University computing resources to the IT Security & Policy Officer."