Adjunct Assistant Professor of Chemistry
B.S. in Chemistry: Magna Cum Laude, Stephen F. Austin State University, May 2007
M.A. in Chemistry: The University of Texas at Austin, December 2009
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry: The University of Texas at Austin, August 2013
Daniel Varnado is from the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area. He attended Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, Texas where he graduated Magna Cum Laude with an ACS certified B.S. in chemistry in 2007. From there he moved farther west to continue his studies at The University of Texas at Austin. His graduate research, under the direction of Prof. Christopher W. Bielawski, focused on the synthesis and evaluation of various organometallic complexes, polymers, and other materials for applications related to their electrochemistries: e.g. redox switchable Ru-based olefin metathesis catalysts, polymer electrolyte membranes for methanol fuel cells, lithium battery cathode compounds, and electrochromic materials. After completing his Ph.D. in August 2013, Daniel returned to Baton Rouge where he has since worked for Albemarle Corporation in the Bromine Research and Technology Group at the Process Development Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In 2017 he was appointed assistant adjunct professor of chemistry at LSU. His interests include synthetic chemistry of many varieties, new product development, energy conversion and storage technologies, and advancing science and science education in Baton Rouge.
1. Pauly, A. C.; Varnado, C. D., Jr.; Bielawski, C. W.; Theato, P. "Electrochromic Poly(acetylene)s with Switchable Visible/Near-IR Absorption Characteristics" Macromol. Rapid. Commun. 2014, 35, 210.
2. Varnado, C. D., Jr.; Zhao, X.; Ortiz, M.; Zuo, Z.; Jiang, Z.; Manthiram, A.; Bielawski, C. W. "Pyridine- and Pyrimidine-Functionalized Poly(sulfone)s: Performance-Enhancing Crosslinkers for Acid/Base Blend Proton Exchange Membranes Used in Direct Methanol Fuel Cells" RSC Adv. 2014, 4, 2167.
3. Varnado, C. D., Jr.; Rosen, E. L.; Collins, M. S.; Lynch, V. M.; Bielawski, C. W. "Synthesis and Study of Olefin Metathesis Catalysts Supported by Redox-Switchable Diaminocarbeneferrocenophanes" Dalton Trans. 2013, 42, 13251.
4. Arumugam, K.; Varnado, C. D., Jr.; Sproules, S.; Lynch, V. M.; Bielawski, C. W. “Redox-Switchable Ring-Closing Metathesis: Catalyst Design, Synthesis, and Study” Chem. Eur. J. 2013, 19, 10866.
5. Varnado, C. D., Jr.; Lynch, V. M.; Bielawski, C. W. “1,1’-Bis(N-benzimidazolylidene)ferrocene: Synthesis and Study of a Novel Ditopic Ligand and its Transition Metal Complexes” Dalton Trans. 2009, 7253.
6. Rosen, E. L.; Varnado, C. D., Jr.; Tennyson, A. G.; Khramov, D. M.; Kamplain, J. W.; Sung, D. H.; Cresswell, P. T.; Lynch, V. M.; Bielawski, C. W. “Redox-Active N-Heterocyclic Carbenes: Design, Synthesis, and Evaluation of Their Electronic Properties” Organometallics 2009, 28, 6695.