Kiran Allam Award
The award honors Dr Kiran Kumar Allam who hailed from Andhra Pradesh, a state in southeastern India, and received his Undergraduate Degree from Kakatiya University, Warangal, India in 1996. He earned two Master’s Degrees - from Osmania University in Hyderabad, India in 2000 and from the University of Arizona in Tuscon, AZ, in 2005. Kiran joined the PhD program in Chemistry in 2005. He served as a TA for the Department of Chemistry and he conducted research in the laboratory of Professor Graça Vicente, passing his General Exam in April 2007. He was passionate about his research and had a strong desire to use his chemistry to help develop treatments for currently untreatable diseases, such as malignant brain tumors. His peers remember him as a caring person who always had a smile and a kind word. The evening of Thursday, December 13th, 2007, Kiran and his friend Chandrasekhar Reddy Komma were shot dead at the Edward Gay Apartments, just north of campus. Kiran was awarded his PhD posthumously in 2008.
This award is for an international student who has excelled in teaching and research. The award is funded by the donations of alumni and friends to the Chemistry Development Fund.
The 2017 recipient of this award was Bijeta Prasai of the McCarley Group.
- 2016 Sunting Xuan (Vicente and Zhang Groups)
- 2015 Suraj Hettiarachchi (McCarley Group)
- 2014 Bishnu Regmi (Warner Group)
- 2013 Dinesh Bhupathiraju (Vicente Group)
- 2012 Pramuditha Abhayawardhana (Marzilli Group)
- 2011 Benson Edagwa (Taylor Group)
- 2010 Euiyong Hwang (Nesterov Group)
- 2009 Vivian Fernand (Warner Group)
- 2008 Yoseph Marcos (Maverick Group)