The Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College (HSSRC), located in Residential College One - South Hall, is open to first-year students of all majors in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences. The HSSRC focuses on intercultural communication and global awareness, and is for students who share a common curiosity about other peoples, places, perceptions, and perspectives.
In addition to being a part of the on campus community and Residential College One community, students in the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College also benefit from these unique opportunities provided in this living-learning community:
- Live and take classes with the same group of peers (sometimes right in their res hall), creating a smaller network within the larger LSU campus
- Have priority scheduling for some courses
- Network with faculty members and college administrators
- Access to in-community tutoring and faculty office hours
- Learn about different career opportunities within each major offered and also intercultural communication in a global context
- Experience diverse thoughts, people, experiences and places
- Expand communication skills and understanding of global events and issues
- Encouragement to study abroad
Requirements and Eligibility
To participate in the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College in Residential College One - South Hall, students must:
- Be a first-year student with a declared major in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences, including pre-law
- Enroll in at least two courses offered through HSSRC in both the fall and spring semesters
- All HSSRC students will be required to take a one-hour "university preparedness" course offered through the residential college and taught by the rector. This course will count as one of the two required HSSRC offered courses that semester.
- Contact Maya Galathe, academic counselor, at email@example.com or 225-578-3141 for scheduling assistance
- See the complete list of requirements here.
Application and Room Assignments
- Eligible students should select the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College as their housing preference on the housing application.
- Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College staff reviews the applicants for eligibility and notifies residents of their acceptance into the program beginning in late fall.
- HSSRC residents can search for potential roommates in the online housing portal in January and will begin making room selections in April.
- For housing application and room assignment information, please contact Res Life at 225-578-8663.
- For Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College eligibility information, please contact HSSRC staff listed below.
Residential College One - South Hall
Residential College One - South Hall provides everything students need to be successful: offices where Humanities & Social Sciences faculty advisors hold office hours, a computer lab classroom, multiple group and individual study spaces, outdoor courtyards, and modern two-student, suite-bathroom style rooms in a great location on the west side of campus.