LaCNS experimental facilities provide instrumentation for materials preparation and characterization. Facilities are located at LSU Department of Physics and Astronomy, LSU Department of Chemistry, Tulane University and LaTech University. Instrumentation supports researchers in the areas of:
- Thermal analysis (DSC, TGA/DTA, DMA)
- Imaging and analysis (confocal microscopes, LEED cameras, sample preparation)
- Materials synthesis (XPS, AFM, floating zone and crucible furnaces)
- Physical property measurement (PPMS, MPMS)
These instruments are operated under faculty supervision with training by postdoctoral researchers and graduate students.
Researchers also have access to the Shared Instrument Facility (SIF) housed in the Department of Chemistry. The facility provides the following services:
- Focused ion beam (FIB)
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
- SQUID magnetometer
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Transmission electron microscopy (TEM)
- X-ray crystallography (XRD)
- Bulk supplies such as liquid helium, liquid nitrogen, and dry ice
The Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) facility in the Chemistry Department houses five high-resolution solution-state spectrometers and one sollid-state spectrometer.