John Rogers Smith, P.E., Ph.D.
Holder of Campanile Charities Professorship
Craft & Hawkins Department of Petroleum Engineering
Louisiana State University
CEBA Building, Room 3526C
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: 225-578-0412 | Fax: 225-578-6039
- B. S., Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1971
- M. S., Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana State University, 1995
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana State University, 1998
- Amoco Production Company, Lafayette, New Orleans, Tulsa, Houston, 1971-1994
- Student/self-employed research consultant, Baton Rouge, 1994-1998
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, 1997-present
- Drilling Engineering (especially for deep wells and deep water) including
- Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Drilling
- Well Control and Blowout Prevention
- Bit Performance
- Rock Mechanics
- Well Design
- Wellbore Integrity, Cementing, and Sustained Casing Pressure
Current Research Projects
- LSU/Industry Consortium for “Well Control Project for Managed Pressure Drilling”
- Proposed LSU/Baker Hughes/Industry Consortium for “Understanding and Improving Penetration Rate Performance in Deep Drilling”
Past Research Projects
- Board of Regents Pfund project on “Evaluation of Confined Strength Parameters of Shale and Siltstone Using Single Point Cutter Tests”
- Board of Regents DOE Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) for “Ubiquitous Computing and Monitoring System (UCoMS) for Discovery and Management of Energy Resources”
- Research Partnership to Secure Energy for America project on “Comparative Analysis of Dual Density Drilling Systems to Reduce Deepwater Drilling Costs”
- Smith International Inc. project for “Predicting the Trajectory and dogleg Severity of Cased Hole Sidetracks Using a Whipstock“
- Louisiana Oil Spill Research and Development Program project on “Training and Research for Blowout Prevention Utilizing Full-scale Well Facility”
- Board of Regents Industrial Ties Project with Nabors Drilling and MDTotco on “Automated Rig Controls for Improved Drilling Costs”
- MMS Research Project for "Development of Improved Procedures for Detecting and Handling Underground Blowouts in a Marine Environment"
- LSU Council on Research Project on "Dual Density Drilling Fluid Systems to Enhance Deepwater Drilling"
- Gas Research Institute Project for "Full-Scale Investigation and Design of Pressure Pulse Transmission for Cement Vibration in Wells"
- MMS Research Project on "Deepwater Hybrid Production Systems"
- LSU Department of Petroleum Engineering Project on "Improving the Economic Viability of Deep Drilling for Oil and Gas"
- Ipek, G., Bassiouni, Z., Kurniawian, B., and Smith, J. R., “I-B Shaly Sand Model: Application to Hydrocarbon Detection,” Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, July 2007, Volume 46, No.7.
- Bybee, Karen after Stanislawek and Smith, “Analysis of Alternative Well-Control Methods for Dual-Density Deepwater Drilling,” JPT, SPE, 1/07.
- Stanislawek, Mikolaj and Smith, John R., "Alternative Well-Control Methods for Deepwater Dual-Density Drilling," World Oil, 1/07.
- Ipek, G., Smith, J. R., & Bassiouni, Z., “Diagnosis of Ineffective Drilling Using Cation Exchange Capacity of Shaley Formations,” Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 6/06, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 26-30.
- Smith and Stanislawek, “Dual Density Drilling Systems Reduce Deepwater Drilling Costs: Part 1-Concepts and Riser Gas Lift Method,” GasTIPS, Hart Publishing, Summer 2005.
- Smith, Bourgoyne, Shelton, and Gupta, “Reducing Deepwater Drilling Costs Part 2-Riser Dilution and Cost Comparisons,” GasTIPS, Hart Publishing, Fall 2005.
- Bybee, K. editor for Flores-Avila, F. S., Smith, J. R., and Bourgoyne, A. T. Jr., “Dynamic Kill Procedure Considers Counter-Current Flow of Kill Fluid,” JPT, SPE, 1/04.
- Perez-Tellez, C., Smith, J. R., and Edwards, J. K., “A New Comprehensive, Mechanistic Model for Underbalanced Drilling Improves Wellbore Pressure Predictions,” SPE 85110, SPE Drilling and Completion, SPE, 9/03, pp. 199-208.
- Baca, H., Nikitopoulos, D. E., Smith, J., and Bourgoyne, A. T., “Counter-Current and Co-Current Gas Kicks in ‘Horizontal’ Wells: Non-Newtonian Rheology Effects,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology, ASME, 3/03, pp. 51-60.
- Smith, John R., Lund, Jeffrey B., and Galloway, Robert K., “Friction on PDC Cutters at High Normal Stress,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology, ASME, 9/02, pp. 146-153.
- Herrmann, Robert P., Smith, John Rogers, and Bourgoyne, Adam T., "Application of Dual-density Gas Lift to Deepwater Drilling," World Oil - Deepwater Technology, Gulf Publishing Co., 10/01, pp. 17-22.
- Smith, John Rogers, "Distinguished Author Series - Energy Demand Creates New Challenges and Opportunities for Drilling," Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, CIM, Vol. 40, No. 5, 5/01, pp. 23-27.
- J.R. Smith, A.T. Bourgoyne, Jr., S.M. Waly, & E.B. Hoff, “Case Histories Bring Reality to Well Control Trainng,” World Oil, Vol 22, No. 6, 6/00.
- Baca, H., Nikitopoulos, D. E., Smith, J. R., and Bourgoyne, A. T., “Co-current and Counter Current Migration of Gas Kicks in ‘Horizontal’ Wells,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology, ASME, 6/99, pp. 96-101.
- Smith, J. R., Cade, R. S., and Gatte, R. D., “Integrating Engineering and Operations for Successful HTHP Exploratory Drilling,” SPE 35076, SPE Drilling and Completion, SPE, 12/97, pp. 238-243.
- Das, Asis K., Smith, John R., and Frink, Philip J., “Simulations Comparing Different Initial Responses to Kicks Taken During Managed Pressure Drilling,” 2008 IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, Orlando, Florida, March 4-6, 2008.
- Stanislawek, Mikolaj and Smith, John Rogers, "Analysis of Alternative Well-Control Methods for Dual-Density Deepwater Drilling," SPE-98957-PP, 2006 IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, Miami Beach, FL, 2/21-23/06.
- Zhou Lei, Dayong Huang, Archit Kulshrestha, Santiago Pena, Gabrielle Allen, Xin Li, Richard Duff, Subhash Kalla, Chris D. White, John R. Smith. “Leveraging Grid Technologies For Reservoir Uncertainty Analysis.” High Performance Computing Symposium (HPC06), Huntsville, Alabama. 4/2-6/06.
- Zhou Lei, Dayong Huang, Archit Kulshrestha, Santiago Pena, Gabrielle Allen, Xin Li, Richard Du, Subhash Kalla, Chris D. White, John R. Smith. “ResGrid: A Grid-aware Toolkit For Reservoir Uncertainty Analysis.” IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid06), Singapore. 5/16-19/06.
- Patil, Smith, and Desai, “Trajectory and Window Width Prediction for a Cased Hole Sidetrack using a Whipstock,” 2005 AADE National Technical Conference and Exhibition, Houston, TX, 4/5-7/05.
- Ipek, Bassiouni, Kurniawan, and Smith, “Log-Derived Cation Exchange Capacity of Shaly Sands: Application to Hydrocarbon Detection,” Petroleum Society’s 6th Canadian International Petroleum Conference, Calgary, Alberta, 6/7–9/05.
- Griffin and Smith, “Field-scale Evaluation of Leak Detection for Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Flow in Deepwater Production Systems,” 2005 ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting and Exhibition, Houston, TX, 6/19-23/05.
- Flores-Avila, Fernando S., Smith, John Rogers, and Bourgoyne, Adam T. Jr., “New Dynamic Kill Procedure for Off-Bottom Blowout Wells Considering Counter-Current Flow of Kill Fluid,” SPE 85292, SPE/IADC Middle East Drilling and Technology Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 10/20-22/03.
- Ipek, G., Smith, J. R., and Bassiouni, Z., “Diagnosis of Ineffective Drilling Using Log-Derived Cation Exchange Capacity of Shaly Formations,” Canadian International Petroleum Conference, Petroleum Society, Calgary, AB, 6/10-12/03.
- Perez-Tellez, Carlos, Smith, John Rogers, and Edwards, Jeremy K., “Un Nuevo Modelo Mecanistico para Perforacion Bajo Balance Mejora la Prediccion de al Presion del Pozo, Validacion de campo,” XIII COLAPER, Caracas, Venezuela, 11/11-14/02.
- Ipek, G., Smith, J. R., and Bassiouni, Z., “Estimation of Underground Blowout Magnitude Using Temperature Logs,” SPE 77476, ATCE, SPE, San Antonio, TX, 9/29-10/02/02.
- Wojtanowicz, Andrew K., Smith, John Rogers, Novakovic, Djuro, Chimmalgi, V. S., Newman, Ken R., Dusterhoft, Dale, and Gahan, Brian, “Cement Pulsation Treatment in Wells,” SPE 77752, ATCE, SPE, San Antonio, TX, 9/29-10/02/02.
- Smith, J. R., Martin, J. N., Newman, K. R., and Gahan, B., "Field Evaluation of Pre-Job Test Protocol for Cement Pulsation," Canadian International Petroleum Conference, Petroleum Society, Calgary, AB, 6/11-12/02.
- Flores-Avila, Fernando S., Smith John Rogers, Bourgoyne, A. T., Jr., and Bourgoyne, Darryl A., “Experimental Evaluation of Control Fluid Fallback During Off-bottom Well Control: Effect of Deviation Angle,” 2002 IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, IADC/SPE 74568, Dallas, TX, 2/26-28/02*.
- Flores-Avila, Fernando S., Smith John Rogers, Bourgoyne, A. T., Jr., and Bourgoyne, Darryl A., “Experimental Evaluation of Control Fluid Fallback During Off-bottom Well Control,” ETCE2002/DRILL-29030, ASME, Houston, TX, 2/4-5/02.
- Nishikawa, S., Wojtanowicz, A. K., and Smith, J. R., "Experimental Assessment of the Bleed-and-Lube Method for Removal of Sustained Casing Pressure," Petroleum Society, Canadian International Petroleum Conference, Calgary, AB, 6/12-14/01.
- Martin, Joseph N., Smith, John Rogers, and Wojtanowicz, Andrew K., “Experimental Assessment of Methods to Maintain Bottomhole Pressure After Cement Placement,” ETCE 2001/DRILL-17133, ASME, Houston, TX, 2/5-7/01.
- Demircan, Guncel, Smith, John R., and Bassiouni, Zaki, “Estimation of Shale Cation Exchange Capacity Using Log Data: Application to Drilling Optimization,” SPWLA 41st Annual Logging Symposium, Houston, TX, 6/4-7/00.
- Herrmann, Robert P., Smith, John Rogers, and Bourgoyne, Adam T. Jr., “The Application of Dual Density Concept to In-site Gas Hydrate Drilling,” NEDO Forum on Feasibility Studies on Gas Hydrate for Development of Energy Resources, Tokyo, Japan, 3/15-16/00.
- Smith, John Rogers, “Case History of Integrating Multisource Data for Pore Pressure Interpretation,” IADC/SPE 59228, IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, New Orleans, LA, 2/23-25/00.
- Smith, John Rogers and Lund, Jeffrey Bruce, “Single Cutter Tests Demonstrate Cause of Poor PDC Bit Performance in Deep Shales,” ETCE2000/DRILL-10130, ASME, New Orleans, LA, 2/14-17/00.
- Smith, John Rogers, “Performance Analysis of Deep PDC Bit Runs in Water-based Muds,” ETCE2000/DRILL-10123, ASME, New Orleans, LA, 2/14-17/00.
- Smith, John R., Lund, J. B., and Galloway, R. K., “Direct Shear Tests Imply Failure Stress at Bit,” Rock Mechanics for Industry, 37th U.S. Rock Mechanics Symposium, Vail, CO, 6/6-9/99.
- Louisiana Engineering Foundation’s Engineering Faculty Professionalism Award, 1/27/06
- Society of Petroleum Engineers Distinguished Lecturer on “Why Deep Drilling is Slow and Expensive, Even in Weak Rocks,” 1999-2000